Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2013 06:00

Battery charging problems

Hello,

Actually, I own an XPS 15 for a year now. But I'm having issues with the battery; the icon shows that it charges to 56% only. As far as I noticed, the battery indicator never turns orange.

Thank you for any precious advice.

Best.

J

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Please hover the mouse on the battery icon, check the message displayed (plugged in,charging / plugged in,not charging). You may try an alter AC Adapter. I would advise you to reseat the battery.

Alternatively, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

Please reply if you have any questions.

8 Posts

January 4th, 2013 00:00

Thank you,

The icon displays plugged in, charging. But once it reaches 55%, it is stuck and the 'battery charging movement' on the icon stops. But the charging indicator does not turn orange.

I have checked the battery health meter and it's fine. It read that the battery is able to charge normally.

I don't think that it's a problem with the AC Adapter since the laptop is able to charge normally upto 55%.

Could you please indicate any other solution.

Best.

J

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Thank you for the response. Let's try the following steps:

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Restart the computer and check

I would also recommend you to update the BIOS of the computer.
 Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged
*Battery charger should be connected
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

• Click on the link http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Type the Service Tag of the computer
  • Choose the operating system
  • Click on 'BIOS', choose the updated version
  • Click on ‘Download File’
  • Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  • Restart the computer when prompted

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

8 Posts

January 6th, 2013 08:00

Thank you for your reply,

Actually, none of the solutions you provided worked. It still charges to 55% only,

Best.

J

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Thank you for the response. I would recommend you to allow the battery to drain down completely. Then power off the computer and charge the laptop overnight. Check if the same issue persists.

8 Posts

January 25th, 2013 06:00

None of the suggested solutions actually worked. Could it be a problem with the battery itself??

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Let's try the steps mentioned below. before trying the following steps, please ensure that you've reseated the battery, BIOS and Quickset is updated to the latest version. You can update it from our support site. Click on the link http://dell.to/QjjZDA , type the service tag of the computer.

Right click on the Battery icon -> choose 'Battery Health Meter' -> choose 'Longevity mode' tab -> Click 'Charge battery to 100% one time' (refer screenshot)

If the above steps do not work, it might be an issue with the battery and may require a replacement.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2013 05:00

Hello, my BIOS is up-to-date but I don't have the same options under the 'Dell Battery Meter'.

Please guide over these options.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 29th, 2013 02:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Thank you for the response. XPS 15 has 3 different model:

• L501X
  • L502X
  • L521X

Please share the exact system model and the Quickset version installed on your computer. You can check the version by going to Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features, check under Version column.

8 Posts

January 29th, 2013 10:00

Hello,

It's a dell L502X and the quickset version is 11.0.10.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 29th, 2013 23:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Thank you for the response. I would suggest you to uninstall Quickset from your computer and update it to latest version. The latest version is 11.0.24.

To uninstall Quickset, please go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Right click on Quickset -> Choose 'Uninstall', follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the application -> Restart the computer.

Now, download and install the application from the link http://dell.to/PdohiJ 
Once Quickset is installed, please try the steps mentioned in my previous post.

8 Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

Hello,

I have updated the quickset but I can't still have the longevity mode tab.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 31st, 2013 02:00

Hi Jayvesh,

In order to assist in a better way, I would need the service tag of the computer.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

In the meantime, I would suggest you to check with an alternate battery (if available) if the issue same issue persists.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

February 1st, 2013 01:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Thank you for the information provided. I will keep you posted on the status.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

February 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi Jayvesh,

Thank you for your patience. I am still looking into this issue. I will keep you posted on the status.

No Events found!