Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2013 08:00

Black Screen on Windows 7 Startup

I have a Dell XPS 15Z with windows 7 and a Nvidia GeForce GT 525M graphics card and ive been experiencing the black screen at startup straight after logging in which takes around 3-5 mins to clear to my desktop. This has been happening for some months and i havent really been able/had time to find a solution. I tried looking at Event Viewer (i think its called) to see what was failing at startup and it seemed that something to do with the graphics card is the problem.  I also read that i could use System Restore to go back to a point where this problem wasnt occuring but i think i was too late to go to a point that far back. I have posted on the Nvidia forums however ive been redirected to the Dell Support Forums. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I'm utterly clueless and really want to avoid wiping the system and reinstalling everything. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

shane_mann1

3.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Start by running a diagnostics on your computer. Press the F12 key at the Dell Logo on startup, select diagnostics and run an extended diagnostics on your computer. Post back with any error codes.

Thank you.

March 22nd, 2013 12:00

Thanks for the quick response. I think have a slightly different menu system that pops up when i press F12 and run Diagnostics. I get presented with 'ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment'. After it ran initially, I ran the test with the 'Thorough Test Mode' tick box selected. Hopefully this is the same extended diagnostics test you were referring to.

The dialogue box came back with the 'Success' 'All tests passed'.

These are the results from the test. They didn't seem to throw up any error codes I've got images of them anyway:

Thanks again for the help!

2 Posts

March 25th, 2013 10:00

I am having a similar issue. However, when I press F8, nothing happens. I tried holding it down, then again continually pressing it and nothing happens. My diagnostic tests all came out fine.

3.8K Posts

March 25th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

Press the F8 key at the Dell Logo on, select Safe Mode and check if you are able to log in without the issue. It could be an issue with the startup itself, or the OS. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

March 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi DELL-Royan S,

Tried booting into Safe Mode. That works fine and there doesnt seem to be any problems. Boots straight into my desktop without a black screen delay and can run programs like chrome pretty much instantly. So the black screen issue at startup is only something that happens when starting windows normally. Does this mean that this is a driver issue?

Also ive realised the only thing that does actually work while I'm having the black screen issue at startup is Task Manager. Here is a screenshot of the processes that are running at startup on Task Manager. Maybe it might help?

Cheers,

shane_mann1

3.8K Posts

March 28th, 2013 05:00

Hi Shane,

It looks like a driver issue or an issue with your startup programs. I recommend you create a new Test Account and try logging on to that account to see if it works. Click on start, control panel, user accounts to create one.

To check if it's one of the startup programs, I recommend you click on start, run, type in msconfig and press enter, click on the startup tab on top, click on disable all at the bottom, apply ok and restart your computer. If this works, then you will need to go back to the startup programs to check which program is causing the problem. Most commonly your Antivirus software.

Thank you.

May 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi Royan S,

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the integrated Intel and nVidia graphics cards using the most recent drivers and the originals which were on the Resource CD but no luck with that, in fact there is some jerking of the Welcome/Shutting Down screen at startup/shutdown now almost like a bad quality VHS tape.

I've also tried the msconfig method which i do use anyway to control startup programs by enabling everything/disabling probable programs that are causing this. No luck with that either.

However i have tried creating a new test account and i think i've had a breakthrough. When starting up into the test account it actually boots straight into a workable, useable normal desktop with no black screen or anything. So it just seems like its my primary account that has this problem. This must narrow it down a bit now right? Any ideas on how i can fix it now?

Thanks!

No Events found!