Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 3rd, 2012 13:00

Black screen w/ blinking cursor

I have a Inspiron N4010, I updated something app for my Dell computer and next think I know ... my laptop turned off and now when I turn it on I get a dell picture and then it takes me to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left hand side. F8 ot F5 does not work. I pressed F12 and everything passed and when it told me to reboot, I did and it went back to the black screen.

Pls help, idk what else to do.

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 14:00

Hi jleesalazar,

I appreciate you proactively running the hardware diagnostics using F12 options. It confirms that the the system hardware is working optimally. It looks like the laptop is unable to revoke from the hibernation mode, after Windows update. Try the following steps:

Follow these steps to drain the flea power from the computer
- Unplug all the connected cables and external devices (USB, cards, etc)
- Place the laptop upside down
- Unplug the battery (Refer to image below)

- Place the laptop back on its base and open the cover (Without battery plugged-in)
- Press the power button and wait 15 to 20 seconds
- Plug the AC adapter cable back in

If prompted, ‘Windows Resume Loader’ (Refer to image below)

- Power the computer back on (Without the battery plugged in)
- As soon as Dell logo appears, tap the space bar repeatedly
- You may get a prompt ‘Delete restoration data’
- Highlight the option ‘Delete restoration data’ (Use Up & Down arrow keys on this screen as mouse is inoperable)
- Press
- You will be able to get back into the Windows.

If prompted with ‘Windows Error Recovery’ (Refer to image below)

- Highlight ‘Start Windows Normally’
- Press
- Check if the laptop goes beyond the blinking cursor

If the issue is not resolved try 'Advance Boot Menu' options for Windows 7
- Shut down the laptop
- Plug the battery back in
- Power the laptop back on
- When Dell logo appears, immediately tap repeatedly. NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then, shut down your computer and try again.
- When Dell logo appears, immediately tap repeatedly
- 'Advance Boot Menu' options appear. Note: Mouse is inoperable at this screen. Use up and down arrow keys to navigate to different options.
- Highlight 'Safe Mode'
- Press
- Check if Windows loads

If the computer loads in Safe Mode, it indicates a software issue. We may have to perform a 'System Restore' to roll back the corrupt software changes. Do reply with results. I will provide you with further troubleshooting steps, if required.

January 7th, 2013 04:00

Hi ,

I had this blinking cursor problem problem recemtly with my inspiron 5010 laptop, wherein even the diagnostic tool was not working, I have tried almost every option available in the forum for the same problem. At last I decided to open the hardware to change the HD and to check the CMOS battery, but once I removed the keyboard from the motherboard and tried to power on the laptop it worked just fine and booted properly!!!

I re-checked this several times by connecting/de-connecting the keyboard to motherboard and the result was same! At last I de-attached the keyboard from motherboard and fitted is as it is in laptop chasis and now using an external keyboard to work. Does anybody had experienced such kind of problem or the experts have anything to comment on this particular problem.

NOTE: Laptop is 2.5 years old and not under Dell support/ extended warranty.

No Events found!