Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

October 27th, 2008 06:00

Cleaning an XPS (Outside)

Hi, I'm new to the dell community... i recently bought a DELL XPS (Product Red) and this computer totally rules... and I want to keep it clean... I hate to take it to school even though they require it... because lots of people want to touch my computer and leave grease stains on it... I hate that!... i want to clean the red surface on my laptop... but I don't know what to use to clean it... I bought these wipes called nice'n clean on a walmart store ... they're anti-static for cleaning electronics... but the thing is that I want to use it to clean the red part of my computer, plus the keyboard and buttons etc... should I use these? or get something else? thanks.

552 Posts

October 27th, 2008 06:00

A basic rule of thumb never use harsh chemicals anywhere.I just use a warm wash cloth on everything evan the lcd.I use a soft cloth to dry it.If its made for computer parts id say its ok,maybe not for the lcd tho.I only trust warm water on a cloth.I have used clorox wipes on the keyboard and mouse,but only after ive been sick or the kids have been sick and on it.I WOULD'NT do it all the time.

Message Edited by steve_89 on 10-27-2008 02:51 AM

October 27th, 2008 13:00

I tech who came over ones i asked what he used to clean his screen with he said he would use a little bit of water and alcohol and that works great the rest he used  a can of air to fish out the dirt from eh keyboard and all other areas before he would go with the warm water

for the top surface take warm towel and water

if it ever does get disturbed to a point where you don;t like what it looks like if you have the accidental damage warranty  dell will replace it even if it just has a scratch on it

552 Posts

October 28th, 2008 00:00

Ive never used anything but water.A mix of 50/50 might work ok but alcohol over time i think would start drying out the plastic faster.To be honest this is a old 9300 and ive cleaned the keyboard 3 times now since ive own it by removing it and runnin hot tap water on it.Then lettin it dry over night.I dont recomend doing this but it might work for thos times somone spills pop or coffe in it.I figured at $15 replacement id try it.
No Events found!