Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2010 23:00

D630 Express Card? Is it possible?

I know the D630 comes with a PCMCIA slot, but can the O2 Micro PC Card Reader be swapped out for an Express Card Reader from a different model Dell?  If so, which one will work?

Thanks.

Mike

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2010 09:00

It makes no difference - an Express Card socket needs logic support on the system board, which is not there in any of the D-series Latitudes.  Even if you find a way to physically fit the socket to the system, there is no support for an Express Card.

984 Posts

August 12th, 2010 03:00

The User's Guide for the Latitude D630 gives the following specification for the PC Card function:

PC Card connector: (supports one Type I or Type II card and one 34-mm ExpressCard with adapter)

NOTE: You must use an adapter with the 34-mm ExpressCard before you insert the card into the PC Card connector.

Cards supported PC Card: 3.3 V and 5 V

1.5-V ExpressCards (with adapter)

PC Card connector size 80 pins.

Therefore you can use an adapter with a 1.5 volt ExpressCard in the PC Card connector.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2010 05:00

I would approach this with extreme caution - these adapters do not work particularly well in many cases.

8 Posts

I would actually prefer to completely replace the PC Card Reader (unplug and unscrew it from the mobo) with an Express Card Reader...  I thought maybe one from a vostro 1525???

It probably won't work, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask..

Thanks for your input thus far.

Mike

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

That's not possible -- the older D-series doesn't have the necessary mainboard circuitry for Express Card, even if you somehow managed to change the physical connector itself.

8 Posts

Thanks.

8 Posts

I'm actually looking to be able to use an Express Card/54...   This is a 54mm wide express card, not the 34mm ones...

Thanks!

November 25th, 2010 20:00

It makes no difference - an Express Card socket needs logic support on the system board, which is not there in any of the D-series Latitudes.  Even if you find a way to physically fit the socket to the system, there is no support for an Express Card.

I got more deep understanding about this part, Thanks for your explanation!
No Events found!