Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

DELL - Service Tag invalid :/

hello,

i bought a dell xps m1330 about 3 months ago... now i need technical support [imba nvidia graphics ftw] - unfornately it seems that my service tag is NOT valid (yes i checked the right spelling - i even copied it from terminal output)...

can anyone tell me what i should do now?

edit: sorry it this is the wrong section, but i didnt know where to post it :S

4.6K Posts

January 30th, 2009 12:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I guess you'll have to contact tech support, and explain to them that your service tag isn't being recognised.

Even if they can't help you themselves, they'll hopefully be able to put you through to the department which does?

You'll then need to get back in touch with tech support of course, about the graphics card problem itself!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 30th, 2009 14:00

If you send me a private message with the service tag you have, your order number, and customer number, if you can, I can get it sorted out- provided you are in the US.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2009 16:00

sorry i'm from germany. i found some online contact form where i only had to enter order+customernumber... i hope they will at least answer me :(

2 Posts

April 29th, 2009 14:00

Bill B,

Can you help me with the exact sample problem?  I tried using the "email" link on this page but it doesn't work with IE8 or FireFox.  I'd rather not post my order#, customer#, etc on this public venue.  Is there some other way to contact you about this problem?

3 Posts

August 31st, 2011 21:00

Bill B,

I am also experiencing the same issue as m Steinle. How may I contact you?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 27th, 2013 18:00

http://www.dell.com/support/retail/ca/en/cadhs1/ownershiptransfer/IdentifySystem

Basically the previous owner needs to do his bit.

Frankly, I'd return the laptop for a full refund.

5 Posts

October 27th, 2013 18:00

I bought an Inspiron 15R SE from ebay.  apparently the laptop was supposed to go to Australia but either never made it there or was returned to the US.

laptop appeared new when I received it.  when I try to register it, I'm told the Service Tag is invalid.  when Dell detects the Service Tag, it comes up just as printed on the bottom of the laptop.  the Express Service Code gets a similar message.

I've spoken to Dell and have been told that without the original Order Number, they can do nothing.  this makes no sense to me.  it sounds like Del apparently failed to link the original Order Number with the Service Tag and, as a result, the laptop is in limbo.  I know the auction house that sold it, the reseller who bought it and sold it to me.  I have the ebay Item number and the paypal transaction ID both of which include the Dell Service Tag.

how do I get it registered ???

5 Posts

October 27th, 2013 19:00

the previous owner has provided me with copies of his invoice from the auction house where he purchased two of these laptops for resale.

I'm not sure what else he can do since going to the Dell website to transfer ownership doesn't work because the Dell says the Service Tag is Invalid . . . even when the site detects it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 27th, 2013 19:00

Find the registered owner of the system and issue an ultimatum - either that person registers the system with Dell, or issues you a refund. 

There's no way to know what happened until you find the registered owner.  Mainboards can be swapped, service tags can  be reset, etc.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2013 08:00

one Dell representative told me I need to get in touch with the registered owner; another Dell representative told me the laptop was never registered.  whatever the case, I have no way of finding out who the registered owner is without assistance from Dell. 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 28th, 2013 09:00

This is your problem. Not Dell's.

You chose to buy a laptop with untraceable lineage most likely for what was a cheaper price.

Return to the eBay seller if you can. That is your best option.

No Events found!