Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2014 00:00

Dell 5720 needs to start twice at every boot

Hi everyone!

I have a Dell 5720 and in the summer, its motherboard and keyboard got replaced due to short circuit problems. Since then, every time I press the Power button, the laptop starts to load correctly but suddenly turns off during the boot process. If I press the Power button on a second time, the laptop loads perfectly.

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed and the booting process reaches the grub where I can select in which one I want to boot. I can even select something from the list, but then the laptop turns off (not because I select something, but I think because I have a few seconds before it shuts down). If I turn it on again, everything is fine. I can select anything from the grub's boot list and it won't turn off. It boots into any desired OS and works like there's no problem

I've just run hardware diagnostics and all tests passed.
One of my friend said that it has a driver problem because the motherboard got replaced and this is why it's shuts down the first boot.

Another observation: if I do this 'twice turn-on' boot and use my laptop for a while and I turn it off and I turn it on again in a short time after the turn off, it boot correctly.

What do you think? Any ideas?

1 Message

November 28th, 2014 10:00

I have the exact problem with mine. Except mine seems to be getting worse. Now, it occasionally takes three tries instead of 2. I've looked online and lots of folks had similar--but different--issues. Mostly, they had Windows 8, but I, like you, am using 7. I tried the thing that some recommended involving removing the battery, but that did nothing. I'm afraid one day it just won't start. Please let me know if you get an answer anywhere.....I'm about to give in and take it to a tech, but I hate to do that....

No Events found!