Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2013 21:00

Dell Inspiron 14 (3421) USB 3.0 problem.

Dell Inspiron 14 (3421)
Windows 8 (64 bit)

I'm using Western Digital (My Passport) USB 3.0 compatible hard drive to backup my data (100GB+)  from old computer.

I use same hard drive to copy the backup to new Dell Inspiron 14 at USB 3.0 port. But whenever it start copy like 1 file, the hard drive reconnect again, causing copy failure. It kept on 'reconnect' causing file copy completely fail.

However, copy using USB 2.0 port has no problem.

Is there any need for me to download driver for USB 3.0? Hard to imagine Windows 8 not support USB 3.0.

Or is it other problem from motherboard maybe? Please advice.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 22:00

Hi warlocklw,

I am sorry about this; the USB 3.0 has a native driver for windows 8. However, try installing the USB 3.0 windows 7 driver in compatibility mode using the link below.

http://dell.to/13tPDni

Follow the steps below to install in compatibility mode

Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab > check the box run this program in compatibility mode, Select the appropriate options.

This may not be an issue with the hardware. However run the Dell PC diagnostics on USB using the link below.

http://dell.to/We70YO

In this link click on hardware > select USB > click on run diagnostics

Let me know about the progress.      

10 Posts

July 30th, 2013 23:00

Hi Senthil. First of all, thanks for quick reply.

I follow your advice and tried "Chipset_Driver_DN16M_WN_1.0.6.245_A03", run in compatibility with

1. Windows 7 or Windows 8, it came out error : This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing

the software".

2. Windows XP SP3, it came out error : This operating system is not supported.

I guess it works for Windows 7 only unfortunately. Will Dell release its version for Windows 8? It may work.

As for the Dell PC Diagnostics, all USB test passed except for hard drive "SMART Shoft Self Test" where it Timed Out, by which I don't think is an issue. I guess hardware works fine, but Windows 8 doesn't communicate with USB 3.0 well.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi warlocklw,

Please use the link below to install the USB 3.0 host controller driver.

http://dell.to/136VgrC

Let me know about the progress.

10 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi Senthil. I tried all possible links, and all replies: This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

I'm made aware of Win8 has native USB3.0 support and Intel won't release chipset driver for Win8:

".

I guess it's up to M'soft to release WIn8.1 which hopefully fix this prob, or Dell release fixes for this. Thanks and regards.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

August 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi warlocklw,

Thanks for the update, I would suggest you to perform complete windows update in the system, check if the USB 3.0 is working

10 Posts

September 26th, 2013 08:00

Hi, I made this post after several 'playing' with my laptop, and would like to bring back old topic instead open a new one.

I have tried install Windows 7, installed latest usb 3.0 (extensible host controller) and still get error, where external hard drive keep eject itself when i try to access it. It will immediate 'reconnect', but very fast it will be ejected, causing my usb 3.0 port can't be used at all to usb 3.0 external hard drive.

I format to Windows 8, with native usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver, same issue happen. I tried my usb3.0 hard drive at my friend laptop, works fine. Besides, there are brightness problem when I use 'fast startup' feature of Windows 8. If I quickboot windows 8, whenever I watch video, the LED display will dimmed down, not sure if this is Windows 8 or UEFI or even dell motherboard problem.

No Events found!