Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2014 13:00

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop repeatably beeps on start up with black screen and does not boot

Hi

My Dell Inspiron 15 laptop repeatably beeps on start up with black screen and does not boot the only way to stop it is remove power and battery then try again.

After several failed attempts it will boot

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Gary

332 Posts

October 1st, 2014 05:00

Hi Gary,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if the system switches ON.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to turn on the system.

If the system is not switching ON please connect the external monitor and check if the system is switching ON then I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the hardware Diagnostics.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

Since the Dell Inspiron 15 laptop computer emits a series of beeps during start-up if the LCD cannot display errors or problems. Please let me know the number of beeps you are receiving during startup as

Let us know your findings.

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 02:00

I tried the above and findings are

first suggestion of steps 1-5 - Laptop did not boot , same area of beeping

there is an unlimited number of beeps it does not stop.

The only way to remove power and battery and try again

After several failed bot attempts the laptop will start (usually about 7 attempts)

When I managed to boot I entered one time boot run diagnostics and no errors found, on reboot the laptop beeped again, after several attempts it booted.

Laptop does not have VGA port but connected with HDMI lead and screen connected - did not boot same error beep every approx. 1 second for unlimited amount of time

Laptop is less than 1 year old

Thanks

Gary

332 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

Hi Gary,

I would Suggest you please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase.

Also, I would suggest you observe the Beep patter and let us know how many number of Beeps, For example If it is : Beep-Beep-Beep Pause Beep-Beep-Beep this is 3 Beeps.

Restarting the system several times and observing this pattern should be helpful for you to identify the Beep pattern.

To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

4 Posts

October 8th, 2014 12:00

Hi Farooq

I have sent you PM with detail and service tag etc

The laptop beeps once every 2.6seconds, I observed 46 beeps in two minutes all at the same time difference between beeps (2.6 seconds)

thanks

Gary

2 Posts

October 18th, 2015 14:00

Hi Gary and Farooq,

I have similar problem:

my Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 is beeping continiously in every 2-3 seconds. I have a blank screen.

Some info:

This is the second time when it did this.

For the first time my laptop battery fully discharged. After several unsuccessfully attempts, somehow I could start it. (Probably also with pressing Esc/F8/F12/Delete, because I pressed all special keys on the keyboard at startup hoping to get lucky.) After it my op.system started normally and I didn't experienced any other issues.. till now.

Second time I intentionally switched off my computer and after 1.5 days later when I switch on it I experienced the problem again.

I restarted it several times, but no luck. Finally pressing special characters (I think Delete could be the solution, but I pressed Esc, F8 and F12 also) I managed to make it work.

Generally I don't switch off my computer. It had runned about 2 weeks without any problem between these two events.

So it seems this problem occures after I turn my computer off. (I check my battery status, Ubuntu says it is fully charged and about 85.9% is its capacity.)

Gary and Farooq, did you manage to solve your issue?

Thanks in advance.

BR, Erno

October 23rd, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem.lack scree

I am running Linux / W8 dual boot on it.

However, when rebooting there is a continuous beep sound, black screen and there is no Boot Option available.

Any suggestions?

4 Posts

October 25th, 2015 10:00

hi

yes I solved my issue - I went out and bought a HP.

Dell refused to honor the warranty. Despite having the original purchase receipt Dell insisted that the warrant started from when my laptop was shipped from the factory to the hypermarket I bought it from, the fact it was on the shelf for several months before I bough it would not be taken into consideration.

Will never buy a Dell product again as long as I Iive............

2 Posts

October 25th, 2015 12:00

Ouch, that's shame. 

My machine is working, just I won't/shouldn't turn it off. I hope this problem won't result worst things..

Thank you for your answer, Gary.

October 29th, 2015 04:00

Right, same thing with my laptop.

I never restart it, and it runs fine during normal operation.

the only problem is to get it running.

2 Posts

February 28th, 2016 05:00

Dell Inprion 15 zwart scherm en oneindig 1 beep geluiden bij het opstarten

Als ik mijn laptop opstart dan krijg ik een zwart scherm en telkens een enkele beep die zich herhaald tot ik de laptop weer uitzet. Ik heb op de Dell website en andere sites zitten zoeken maar heb geen enkel idee wat dit kan zijn. Als iemand van jullie me verder kan helpen dan zou ik dit zwaar appreciëren. Wel is het zo, van de 1000 keer dat ik de laptop probeer op te starten, start hij misschien 1 keer op.

In bijlage (links) kan u meer duidelijkheid hierover vinden:

https://i.gyazo.com/85c5dd025b2909aad016d0c9749c71cf.png

Kijk goed naar de datum (mijn batterij steekt er gewoon niet in omdat ik op netstroom werk) dus alles werkt perfect maar sinds na deze check up is mijn laptop geen enkele keer meer aan gegaan en heb het al 1000en maal geprobeerd...  :(

Alvast bedankt!

June 17th, 2016 23:00

My Dell inspiron 15R is making 4 beeps after every 2 seconds of intervals neither the screen is showing anything. It's completely black and I don't know why it's suddenly happening. Please help

No Events found!