Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2011 22:00

Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop Screen Black

I can turn my laptop on and it will bring up the page with options to go to safe mode, safe mode networking, last configuration or start windows normally. When I try to hit F8 it does nothing. If I chose the option to start in safe mode it doesnt do anything except bring up a bunch of codes on the screen. If o chose to start windows normally or use last configuration then it takes me to the windows xp load page but after that the screen just goes black and does nothing from there. Any ideas of why this would be happening or what I can do to resolve this issue,. Also I have already tried taking the battery out and putting it back in then start the computer as well as taking the battery out and starting with only the power cord plugged in and holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds. Any  help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 17th, 2011 04:00

Sounds like a bad hard drive.  F12 at powerup - boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended hard drive test.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 17th, 2011 11:00

Is there an image on an external monitor when the internal one is black?

7 Posts

Also my battery shows that it is idle and not charge. When I check the BIOS and battery info it tells me that the battery is reaching the end of its usablke life and I need to change it. Could that possibly have something to do with my laptop doing this and the screen not loading for me?

7 Posts

Also my battery shows that it is idle and not charge. When I check the BIOS and battery info it tells me that the battery is reaching the end of its usablke life and I need to change it. Could that possibly have something to do with my laptop doing this and the screen not loading for me?

7 Posts

I tried that and it brought up the testing DTS system but I let it do that for over an hour and it never did anything, Any ideas?

7 Posts

When I try to turn my computer on I start it in last known configuration, It will bring up the windows xp load page then it jst goes black and doesnt do anything. When I used F12 to run a diagnostic all it did was bring up the blue screen and say it was testing but after over an hour the percentage bar telling how much was completed never went up. Should I just let it run longer?

7 Posts

April 17th, 2011 12:00

Ok I will hook to an external monitor and see if it shows me anything. THen if I can see something on an external screen then I will let you know what I find out. Sorry about all the confusion I am def not tech savy...lol I will try all of this and let you know. Ty for your help thus far.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Only if the system will boot normally with the battery removed.  Otherwise it sounds like a mainboard problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You're making this impossible to diagnose.  First thing is to try an external screen - see if there is an image. If you can't get at least a BIOS screen externally, then it's likely the mainboard is problem.  If you can, it could be a screen problem - or a hard drive problem - or a Windows problem. 

You'll have to keep trying until you pin down the problem.  If you can get an image externally, try booting to safe mode (F8 before windows loads).  If that nets you a good image externally, then it could be a Windows issue. 

7 Posts

Sry to post so many things...lol One thing that is important, I had tried to install windows 7 on my laptop that was currently running windows XP 2002. I believe that may have been what started this issue. Do you think that if i hooked my laptop up to an external monitor and take those files off and fix my laptop screen?

No Events found!