Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2012 00:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 Touch Pad not working ...

10-11-12

Hi ...

Request to my dear computer doctor / tech person:

Thought you might enjoy helping me sleuth this…  

Situation:     When I’m working with this computer (Dell Inspiron N5110 )  on a hard surface (as I am now), the cursor jumps around while I’m typing.  This creates errors.  I have to manually move the cursor back where I need it and type again.  This is a known issue with this computer : overly sensitive touchpad / body of computer / sensitivity to vibration, etc. with Dell and they are aware of it.  

I went online to try to identify solution but haven’t found one yet.  The only one I have found that works is to unplug the laptop.  One of the sites I found online today states that the issue seems to be moderately addressed when the computer is not fed via A/C power (HUH? What?)  Please explain.   

Is there a chance that you might be able to help me with this?  Meanwhile I will continue searching online.  Would you contact Dell?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This email is from my sister in France I bought this Dell Inspirion N5110 laptop for her online though QVC in late February 2012.  Now it's ... seven months later and she's having issues with the touchpad.

Someone, please, please, please respond with step-by-step instructions so I can instruct her long distance on Skype how to fix and remedy this situation?

Thanks for your help!

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

3.3K Posts

October 12th, 2012 01:00

Hi PLGoss,

Check the status of touch pad in safe mode (restart the computer and tap F8 on dell logo) .Select Safemode and try using the touchpad.

If the touchpad shows the same behavior in safe mode, try updating the Touchpad Driver from the below mentioned link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15r-n5110?driverId=TK588&osCode=W764&fileId=2731101988

Download:

1. Click Download Now, to download the file.
  2. When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
  3. users will click Save  this program to disk and click OK.  The Save In:
  4. window appears.
  5. From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
  6. select Desktop and click Save.  The file will download to your desktop.
  7. If the Download Complete window appears, click Close.  The file
  8. icon appears on your desktop.

Install:

1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R305170.EXE.
  2. The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
  3. unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R305170. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
  4. Setup.exe file can be found later.
  5. The Self-Extractor window appears.
  6. Click OK.
  7. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
  8. window is still open, close it.
  9. Click the Start button and then click Run.
  10. Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R305170 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
  11. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

I have provided steps below to change the Touch Sensitivity:

1. Turn on the computer and log into Windows as normal. Open the "Start" menu and click on the option labeled "Control Panel."
  2. Double-click on the icon labeled "Mouse.". The "Mouse Properties" window will open. Navigate to the tab labeled "Device Settings." Click on the button labeled "Settings." A window labeled "Properties" will appear.
  3. Examine the left panel of the "Properties" window and expand the option labeled "Sensitivity." Click on the option labeled "Touch Sensitivity."
  4. Reduce the touch sensitivity setting by moving the slider to the right, towards the "Heavy Touch" label. Experiment with different levels of sensitivity until you find one suited to your needs.
  5. Click on the button labeled "OK" to close the "Properties" window; repeat with the "Mouse" control panel. Your new touchpad sensitivity settings are now saved.

If the issue persists, run full system scan from the below link:

http://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19?~ck=mn

For more information on touchpad issues, click on the below link:

http://dell.to/PZ1nYj

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!