Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2017 01:00

Dell Logo Screen Resolution Problem - Inspiron 5447

I have an Inspiron 5447 since October 2014. I had no problems with my laptop since then. Yesterday, I decided to change my HDD with a Samsung Evo 850 GB SSD. The installation went great and everything works. I ran the diagnostic tests afterwards and no problems were detected. Though, the Dell Logo splash screen of the BIOS changed. The logo is bigger and with lower resolution than the previous one. How can I change back to the old, smaller and with better resolution logo? I know it is really not a problem, but it bothers me, so I want to fix it!!!!

Thank you!

January 18th, 2017 09:00

Yes, I have windows 10. I assume that you propose to set the screen's resolution to the highest resolution. The resolution is set to the highest value already and the logo does not seem to be affected. It remains big and a bit blurry in my opinion. Thank you, anyway!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

Please type Settings onto [Cortana] search box, click on System, and then 'Advanced Display Settings'.

4 Posts

January 19th, 2017 07:00

Hi! I have just bought SSD disk of 240 gb and own 5447 model as well as you. Iam still doubt about the way of replacing Windows to the new disc. Can you please share the way you did it? Did you simply cloned it via Acronis or smth like that? Or you installed it from the scratch maybe from the boot flash? But if this way, what about the license?  Will appreciate your answer!

January 19th, 2017 23:00

Hi!!! Replacing the disk, is a pretty much straight forward process. There are two ways to do it. Either cloning the old disk to the new one, or by a clean install of Windows in the new. The first choice copies the content of the disk as it is and you simply replace the disk and connect the new one. I wouldn't recommend this process because everything is transferred, even garbage. The second choice is better, though a little bit more complicated. First of all, you have to back everything you need, meaning the programs you use, office key etc. You can still have access to the old disk, making it an external hard drive with a case. Then you create a bootable usb for windows. You connect the usb before power up and tapping F12 continiously, you can enter the boot menu. You change the first option to boot from usb and after that the windows 10 is straight forward. I assume that the laptop came with pre - installed windows 8.1 and you updated to windows 10. In this case, you probably don't the windows key, but there are third party application, which you can find on the internet, that retrieve both windows and office keys. You run the application before you start the back up process, find the keys and note them down to use during installation.

A final note, and maybe a solution to my problem, when booting from usb, be careful not to change the BIOS to legacy mode. It should remain at UEFI mode. I am not an expert on BIOS issues to know if there are any differences, but the one I noticed after installation is that I see the bigger Dell logo as BIOS splash screen with legacy mode. The solution is to do another clean install and not change the UEFI mode, I suppose!!!!

No Events found!