Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 14th, 2009 03:00

Dell Vostro 1000 - problem reinstalling the ATI Radeon 1150 driver...

Hi,

I have been helping a friend reinstall her laptop after some spyware/adware/virus related issues and everything is now basically setup except for the screen resolutions.  The graphics card driver is missing and the driver on the Dell drivers CD refuses to install with an error saying that the 'driver cannot be installed for the device adapter' (unfortunately that's not the EXACT message - I apologise for that but I'll find out the exact one).

It's behaving as if I am trying to install the wrong driver for the laptop, even though thats the only video driver that shows up on the drivers cd.

Anyway, I've asked her to download the latest version of the driver and to see if that makes any difference, has anyone else heard of similar problems?

It's a Vostro 1000 with an AMD64 Athlon X2 with Windows XP and (apparently - I can't actually confirm since Windows just states its a video adapter without stating which card it actually is) an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1150.

Any suggestions would be great!

1.6K Posts

January 14th, 2009 03:00

If you haven't installed the Dell notebook system software and chipset driver, that's why the video driver won't install.  Those must be in place before you load the video driver.

January 14th, 2009 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Last night when I checked - the chipset software didn't have the tick indicating that it was installed, so I clicked on it to install it and was confronted by a box asking me if I wanted to uninstall it.  Is it possible that when the chipset software was installed it somehow went a bit wrong and needs reinstalling?

4.6K Posts

January 14th, 2009 09:00

Did you install the chipset drivers - either off the Dell CD (drivers/software on discs supplied with systems, is almost always outdated), or the Vostro 1100 'Drivers & Downloads' page?

Correct Driver Installation Order.

Latest ATI Catalyst XP Drivers for on-board ATI Radeon 1150.

No Events found!