Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2012 05:00

Dell screen keeps on turning off

Hello everyone!

I have a big problem with my new Dell laptop - Inspiron N5110.

It was working fine at the beginning but now it is impossible to use. The screen of the computer keeps on turning off every few minutes...

I suspect it might be related with the fact that I started using HDMI cable when connecting it to the TV. The connection was working for a while (though it was possible to see the video on TV screen only, not on the laptop).

But now even disconnected laptop 'thinks' there is TV connected and automatically turns off the screen. The button on the far right side of the keyboard keeps on turning on by itself (square with a line across, indicating another screen used).

Please advise how to fix this major problem - it becomes impossible to use my new laptop...

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Neringa:)

3.8K Posts

December 16th, 2012 02:00

Hi Neringa,

Welcome to the Community. Try refreshing the Video Drivers. Click on start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the symbol next to Display Adapters, right click on the Display driver and click on uninstall, click ok to confirm. Once its removed restart your computer, windows will automatically reinstall the driver once it restarts. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

3.8K Posts

December 16th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Press the F8 key at the Dell Logo, select Safe mode with networking, and press enter, and click on the below link to reinstall the Intel Driver.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-n5110

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer!:)

I was following the instructions until Display adapters. It turned out there is no Display driver under that icon - only Intel R HD Graphics Family and Nvidia GeForce GT. Which one should I uninstall?

Thank you.

P.S. - my screen is turning off every 10 sec now, it becomes extremely frustrating...

Best regards,

Neringa

I started uninstalling Intel and the screen went black,it wouldnt turn on even when I move the mouse.

When I try to turn on laptop,there is only white dash blinking in the black screen! help!

writing on my phone now :/

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Uninstall both of them, Inter R HD graphics, and Nvidia, and then restart your computer.

Thank you.

I restarted computer and kept on oressing F12 but this Diagnostics wouldn't start. It turned on in Safe Mode and I am not able to click on most items because it says"you dont have the correct graphics driver or card installed.".

Is it possible to run Diagnostics from turned on laptop?

Or could your Support center connect to my laptop through Internet and fix it?

Thank you.

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Press the F12 key at the Dell Logo, select Diagnositcs and run an extended diagnostics on your computer. Post back with any error codes.

Thank you.

December 16th, 2012 05:00

What is a service tag? :)

I really don't know much about computers so appreciate your patience indeed...

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Service tag is a alph-numeric number on a sticker at the bottom of your laptop. Or you can select your system model as well to download the driver.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=267748

Thank you.

Can I just follow the link now when I am in a simple Safe Mode?

I am writing from my laptop now, Internet looks working OK.

Should I download the drivers and install them? And afterwards reinstall NVIDIA and restart laptop? Would it fix the problem?

Thank you.

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Yes, use the link given in my previous post to download and install the driver. Restart your computer after after installing. Then log on to support.dell.com, click on home users, drivers and downloads, enter your service tag and download and update the Nvidia video driver. Restart the computer.

Thank you.

Which Dell Logo do u mean?

I restarted laptop again and it wouldnt do anything when I was pressing F8. It just turns on in safe mode...

December 16th, 2012 06:00

Hei again,

I did as you said and now the screen looks working well - no unexpected turning off. Probably the problem was in drivers.

May you suggest any prevention to avoid this problem again? I still want to use my laptop connected to a TV sometimes :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,

Neringa

3.8K Posts

December 16th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

It could have been a corrupt driver. Uninstalling and Re-installing the driver fixed it. If the post answered your question click on Yes as this will help other users in the future.

Thank you.

December 17th, 2012 10:00

Hi Royan,

Looks like it wasn't the drivers - the screen started turning off again.

What else could it be?

P.S. - I am considering asking for the laptop being changed to a new one by Dell because I can't use it properly. Where should I do it?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Neringa

No Events found!