Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 20th, 2017 23:00

Dell, where did this TB16 come from?

I happened to look out on my front entrance way and saw a package laying there. I brought it in and noticed it was from Dell. Well I had not ordered anything from Dell. I opened the box and saw it was a TB16. I do not know why I was sent this but here is my guess. I had ordered a TB15 over a year ago. After all the issues I had with it as well as others have had with it, I returned it before the 30 day return deadline. Now unannounced and over a year later, this TB16 shows up. Is Dell sending these out to people who returned the TB15's?

I don't know if I want it. People are still having issues even with this newer version. Whether this dock or any dock will work with the XPS 15 9550 is another question. It seems that even with the latest firmware/drivers installed, people are still having problems with the new version. I have my eye on another dock (Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Dock). It does not have all the bells and whistles of the TB16 but it has enough for me. Its release has been delayed for over a year. They won't release it until they know it works which is what Dell should have done.

So Dell what is going on here?

Thanks,

JohnD

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

April 21st, 2017 01:00

I agree releasing half-products is not fair. Considering that all vendors seem to have big TB3 issues, I guess Intel is to blame too.

But why not give it a try if it is free, and you're considering a dock anyway? ;)

I don't think everybody is having issues with the TB16. Some even made the TB15 work eventually, taking care of excess heat themselves. But according to a writeup at Plugable, some XPS have issues with their docks too. My WD15 works fine now, but it took firstly a bunch of updates and secondly the replacement of the DW1830 with Intel 8260.

1 Message

April 21st, 2017 06:00

Give it a try, but buy a headphone. The fan is so loud and always on, even in a small setup with just an extra monitor. The first TB16 I returned because I thought the fan was defect, but the second one that came was as loud as the first one. This one is going back 2.

No Events found!