Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2011 01:00

Disable the pointer button in the middle of the keyboard

Hi, can anyone help me to disable the button that is between the G H and B keys on the keyboard permanently ?  Every time I type I somehow manage to bump this button and send my cursor somewhere up or down the page...

Thanks for your help in advance

3.8K Posts

September 27th, 2011 01:00

Hi  Planner,

Welcome to the Community. Please add your system model and operating system when posting on the Community. To disable the track stick, click on start, control panel, mouse, wait for the Dell touchpad image to appear and click on the touchpad image, click on the option Pointing stick or device select, you should have an option to disable it there.

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

October 13th, 2014 19:00

I know this is an old post but it's the first one that comes up when searching how to disable the pointstick but doesn't actually answer the question. I was able to figure it out though!

1. Start > Control Panel

2. Select Dell Touchpad (You may have to change the "View by" to small or large icons to find it)

3. It will default to the Touch Pad. You can turn this off if you wish but I find the reason for the cursor jumping is due to the sensitivity of the pointstick when typing G, H or B. You need to click the image of the pointstick in this picture: http://tinypic.com/r/2j1ubm9/8. If you have a different version, it may look like this: http://tinypic.com/r/2nss8yw/8. Double click "Select Device" and ensure your turnoff the POINTSTICK.

Hope this helps everyone!

1 Message

February 20th, 2013 01:00

Hi Royan,

I have this same problem.

Laptop model : Dell Precision M4500

The pointer in the middle of the keyboard (Between the keys GHB) is quite irritating. How can I disable it? the steps you have mentioned above did not help.

Thanks,
Sylvester

1 Message

March 21st, 2013 10:00

Hi, can anyone help me to disable the button that is between the G H and B keys on the keyboard permanently ?  Every time I type I somehow manage to bump this button and send my cursor somewhere up or down the page...

Thanks for your help in advance

February 11th, 2015 16:00

Thank you iheartnyjets for sharing a solution to this issue. I've always really liked Dell computers but this issue is driving me crazy. I think I finally identified that the point stick is the reason the cursor suddenly jumps across the screen when I don't want it to. The bad thing is that I cannot turn it off! Even using the solution you outline will not work. The pointer stick just keeps working, even when I turn the little switch to "off" in the program. I've tried to update the driver but it keeps telling me I have the latest version. 

I think the next method will be to see if I can just pop the thing off. Maybe that will work. 

February 11th, 2015 17:00

Well thankfully I didn't have to resort to physical harm to solve this issue. 

The computer insisted that the drivers were updated, but I managed to download and run this file from Dell Support:

Input_Driver_GGY5W_WN_8.1200.101.127_A06.EXE 

It installed a tab in the Control Panel - Mouse settings that is for Dell Touchpad (a tab that did not exist before). By using that route, I was actually able to turn the Point Stick off. 

Prior to doing all that, I uninstalled the Microsoft Mouse program (I forget the exact name of it), that apparently installed itself when I plugged in a mouse some time ago. My hunch is that program may have caused the havoc. 

July 1st, 2015 13:00

Dear Royan,

Thanks for guiding on how to switch of the Pointer button. It is creating lot of problem while typing fastly.

Thanks again

Manish Londhe

1 Message

December 5th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the recommendation along with the steps and images.

They were helpful.

1 Message

June 30th, 2016 08:00

I have a Latitude E6420.  I am trying to disable pointing stick.  There is no icon for that in my Control Panel.  Also, button beneath my spacebar is problematic.   

July 3rd, 2016 02:00

Dear Royan,

The pointer problem is rectified but once we switch off the computer again same problem or pointer arises.

i.e. the setting is not saved permanently.

No Events found!