Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2012 12:00

Do not have permission to update BIOS on XPS 15z

Hi I'm new here and having a very frustrating time trying to update BIOS on my Dell XPS 15z. I don't have a warranty anymore, so coming here is about all I know left to do. 

Last night, the power light started flashing orange and white, and it isn't charging (It says 92% available, plugged in but not charging). The last time it did this, I was able to talk to someone online, and they updated my BIOS remotely. This fixed the problem, and it's been fine up until now.The laptop is a little over a year old, so I wouldn't think the battery would be dead. In any case, I'd like to update BIOS first to see if that would fix the problem without having to go out and buy a new battery. 

The BIOS right now is A05. I downloaded A11, but when I tried opening the file it said I didn't have permission to, even when I tried running it as an administrator. The same happened when I tried A06. The files were downloaded to the Desktop using the Dell Download Manager as well as a single download (I've tried multiple times). I tried getting into the BIOS screen from startup, but it didn't help (all I was really able to do was change date and time, and I could view the BIOS version. Is that the right screen? I got there using F2). 

I don't know what to do, and I am getting VERY frustrated. I've tried looking elsewhere, but it hasn't helped at all. I would very much appreciate any help...

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 13:00

Figured it out. Not only was I using the wrong browser, but the driver was showing up under viruses in my protection program. Had to disable that. I do have one more question, though; I managed to update to A06, would updating to A11 be beneficial to my laptop?

October 2nd, 2012 14:00

Hi,

I am assuming that the computer is working fine after updating BIOS to A06.

The BIOS update A11 is the latest one, so would suggest you to update it on your system. It has fixes for certain issues related to thermal table and AC adapter. You can refer to the link : http://dell.to/OL4Itf

Refer to the Article No. 266440 on Dell's support site for the issue that you are facing the battery not getting charged.

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!