Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2012 20:00

Error when creating a System Recovery DVD on Inspiron 3520 with Windows 8

I get a error when almost completing the creation of the system recovery DVD on a Inspiron 3520 laptop with Windows 8 (purchased in Nov 2012).  The size of the folders/ files for the recovery DVD is 6.9 GB and I am using a DVD + R DL disk.  I can read the disk in the DVD drive and there is ~ 6.9 GB of files on it.  What could be the problem?  I have tried twice with the same results.  The drive makes clicking noises when near the abort.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2012 00:00

I have the same problem.Mine finishes writing to one disk and never accepts the next one.Tried twice and wasted two DVDs so far.Have you had any luck with this?The DVD drive makes a lot of noise in this model.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2012 09:00

mgsecord ,

I upgraded the BIOS from A03 to A04 which seems to have resolved the problem.I was able to get further and it took two DVDs to create the recovery discs

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2012 12:00

Thats because the Recovery Media Requires 8 Gigs for the OS it installs on the recovery media.  If you use a 16 GIG or larger USB Flash drive it will work.  Staples has Micro Relay 16 Gig Flash Drives for $17.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2012 13:00

I beg to disagree with you speedstep.The media requires 6.6Gb to install the recovery media.I have a stack of DVDs which i should be able to use and not go around shopping for Deals here and there for USB sticks.Having said that why is there an option where it clearly says that you can use either USB ,DVD +R-R discs,CDs etc.So if dell wanted users to use only USB drive then it should be clearly specified in the UI and also how did it resolve after upgrading to a new BIOS?

4 Posts

December 5th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for the  responses.  Several days later I had actually tried to use the Dell utility to create the USB recovery media, but I never got to the step of actually writing the media.  I let the Dell utility run over night and the 'Clock' was still spinning in the morning.  So Last night I used the Windows 8 utility to create a recovery drive ( on the first try) that  also copies the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive.  I used a USB drive  and the total size of the backup was about 7 GB.

December 9th, 2012 03:00

I just received (7th December 2012)  Dell Inspiron 15R SE with Windows 8. I am having the same problem. I wasted 3 DVDs and got an error message while buring recovery DVD. It seems that this problem has been lingering for a whil and Dell hasn't been solving it. Why don't they provide recovery media with all the drivers in it? They used to do it.

I should have listened to my brother's advice to get Toshiba Laptop. He never had a problem burning recovery DVDs.

When I press F8 while the computer is starting to burn recovery DVD through wondows set-up, the computer simply hangs.

Does anyone have a solution to this? 

13 Posts

December 10th, 2012 11:00

desisupertechie,

Try updating the dell support center software and also the BIOS if available.I was able to resolve it.If you are in the US just fill up an online form and dell will ship you the recovery discs by overnight fedex for free.I had a similar issue and upgraded the BIOS which fixed it for me.

FYI i dont work for dell.

December 10th, 2012 15:00

Thanks ramorcl. My computer is 7520, and not 3520. Can you please send me the link for online form? I will update both, the support centre and BIOS, and see what happens.

13 Posts

December 10th, 2012 17:00

Please try this link for the recovery discs support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form looks

The issue looks like an inherent problem with dell laptops loaded with Win 8

December 13th, 2012 03:00

Thanks a lot !!!

No Events found!