Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2011 20:00

Factory Restore - dp.sc access denied

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista, 32 bits.  I've been experiencing many problems with corrupt files.  I've backed up what I do not want to lose and have attempted to System Restore back to Factory Settings.  Turning on my computer and pressing F8 key.  My attempts only give me an error, dp.sc access denied.  I have properly logged in and am the account administrator.  Please, step by step instructions.  Thank you kindly for your time.

6 Posts

December 29th, 2011 21:00

Thank you for your speedy response.  Yes, I have followed these instructions to the T. 

4.4K Posts

December 29th, 2011 21:00

Are you following these directions for PC Restore?

Click Here for PC Restore
Available on many Dell Dimension and Inspiron computers, Dell PC Restore by Symantec is a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains an exact copy of your computer's original factory software. With PC Restore, you can restore your computer to the original state it was shipped in to you from Dell and in a fraction of the time a manual reinstallation would require.

4.4K Posts

December 29th, 2011 22:00

Try this:

1.  Turn on the computer
2.   As the computer starts, press on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen
3.   Choose your language settings, and then click Next
4.  Click Repair your computer
5.  Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next
6.  On the System Recovery Options menu, select the Command Prompt
7. In the Administrator window, type the following lines, pressing after each line.

path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32
d:
CD Tools
PCRestore

8.  In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

9.  In the Confirm Data Deletion window, click to select Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition, and then click Next. The message Factory image successfully restored! appears when the process is complete.

10.  Click Finish to restart the system

I did this from memory so it might be a little different.  I think I got it.

6 Posts

December 30th, 2011 11:00

Hi again, All your steps worked properly to enter Command Prompt.  At step 7. I typed path d:\window,d:\windows\system32, then pressed .  After which I typed d:, where I was given this message: The device is not ready

When I typed CD Tools and PCRestore, the message stated they are not recognized as an internal or external command.

Any suggestions from here?

Thank you for your continued efforts to lend support. 

4.4K Posts

December 30th, 2011 14:00

For some reason, it is not seeing the D:\ drive which leads to this - the device is not ready.

CD just stands for change directory and PCRestore is the program to run.  Since the notebook doesn't see the D:\ drive, it has no idea about the PCRestore command hence giving the cannot recognize the command.

I will have to think about this one.

4.4K Posts

December 30th, 2011 19:00

I want to see how the drives are configured for your system.

Get back into the command prompt using steps 1-6 above.

Step 7 -  In the Administrator window, type the following lines, pressing after each  

diskpart
list volume

Here is a screen print of my system:

Post back what you find.  Volune number, drive letter (Ltr), label, format system (Fs), Type, size, status and Info.

To get out of this, type in exit and then press enter.

4.4K Posts

December 31st, 2011 09:00

Just checking back in.  Have you any luck?

4.4K Posts

January 1st, 2012 19:00

More than likely it is a driver issue.

When you say you brought it back to factory condition, did you run PC Restore or did you have to load Windows from scratch?

Do you happen to know which wireless card you have?  Was it an Intel Pro or Dell wireless connection.

6 Posts

January 1st, 2012 19:00

Hi there, and Happy New Year to you!  By some miraculous feet my teenage son found the missing

OS, Media, Drivers and Utilities DVD's in the abyss we call his bedroom.  Still packed and neatly sealed.

So, I've managed to manually bring my system back to Factory Condition using the disk Dell sent

with the purchase of my computer.  (Even with my 10 month old, teething, grand daughter on my

hip)!

However, I have come across a new problem.  All is installed and seems to be running well, save

for when it became time to release my laptop from the confines of the ethernet cord, so I could travel

about the house with it, as I have in the past.  

I click on the icon in the lower right task bar, then choose "connect to network."  Usually a screen

would pop up with wireless network name (SSID) which I would connect my laptop, my daughters

laptop, a Zune, PSP2,X-box, etc....

So, I open Network and Sharing Center.  Then click manage network connections.  Where I find

LAN or High Speed Internet, Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller.  In the past, I also had

WLAN, located here, before my Factory Restore.  I am at a loss!

Is this a Driver/Utility issue?  If so, where do I find software download for my Dell Inspiron 1720?

I've not even a clue what to download.  Or even if I am on the right track toward repair.  Could there

be issues with my card as well?  It doesn't seem that it should considering all was working beautifully in the past.  

Forgive me if my new question belongs in a different forum.  If so, I will gladly move them.  I just want

my laptop freedom!  Major nods to you for your time and trouble.  I truly appreciate your knowledge and

support.  You are a credit to your class.

Thanks again!  

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 07:00

Good morning,

Restored from scratch using the disk supplied with the system when it was purchased.  Not sure about which wireless card, although I do have intel core 2 if that is significant. When I go into my device manager all that is listed is the Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller under Network Adapters.  Listed just under my Network Adapters is a list of Other Devices one of which is Network Controller.  When I double click, says "this device is not installed."  Was that my wireless card?  Can it be installed from there?  Thanks again.

4.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 16:00

Your system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista, 32 bit

Here are the drivers and the order that they need to be installed.

1. Notebook System Software
  2. Mobile Chipset and Ricoh-Driver
  3. Matrix Storage Manager - Notebooks
  4. SIGMATEL-Driver     Audio Driver
  5. Video Driver - Wait to see your specifications
  6. Network Adapter - Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
  7. Dell QuickSet
  8. Wireless Card - Wait to see your specfications
  9. Bluetooth Driver - Wait to see your specifications
  10. TouchPad

4.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 16:00

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you.  I had to go back to my day job.  It pays the bills.:emotion-5:

If the drivers are not installed, you will not see it in the device manager.  There are some other items that you are going to have to install too.

Learn how to install Install Drivers in the Correct Order by Clicking Here.  I can help step you through the installation but do take a look at the link so that you will have a better idea of what needs to be done.

View the system information for a particular service tag by Clicking Here.  Enter your service tag number and post back what your shipped configuration is.  From there, we should be able to determine what wireless adapter you have.

No Events found!