Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2009 04:00

Flashing battery light. Inspiron 1520

Hello, my Inspiron 1520 just recently started blinking a red battery light. It just keeps blinking. Theres no stop to it... even if i re -insert the battery it shows the blinking red light and it keeps blinking steadily. Also when checking with quickset it doesnt recognize any battery at all. When i remove the ac adapter my pc just shuts off and wont run until plugged in. I read in the manual and it told me to contact dell if it happened. I dont know if its defected or something? Maybe you guys know? My warranty is pretty much dead... and ive always left the computer plugged on.. dont know if that affects the battery. Will I have to replace my battery, if it runs out or is defected? I checked and its $135 bucks for a new battery Surprise

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 20th, 2009 05:00

Yes, you willl need to replace the battery with a new one - or leave it out of the system - to stop the red light from flashing.

13 Posts

May 20th, 2009 12:00

But im pretty positive i didnt use it for a long time AT ALL. 80% of the time it was running it was plugged in and i only have had it for a year so far. So how did my battery die off so quick...I barely used the battery...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 20th, 2009 12:00

Batteries fail from heat and aging as much as from use - they generally last 18-24 months or 300-500 charge cycles, whichever comes first. 

2 Posts

March 1st, 2013 18:00

Just now discovered that the battery in the 1520 Inspiron has a flashing orange or red light; mine is orange. The flashing comes from an illustration on the panel, a battery with a lightning bolt that flashes.

I read that the batteries last from 2-4 years, depending on the amount of charges. I think their phase change or charge & discharge is between 600-800 times? If I use the laptop on the battery, I generally let it run down to 20% before putting it on charge; switching out for another battery.

It was suggested to not have the battery idle in the laptop, due to it being under a constant trickle charge, allowing for shelf discharge.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2013 18:00

Just now discovered that the battery in the 1520 Inspiron has a flashing orange or red light; mine is orange. The flashing comes from an illustration on the panel, a battery with a lightning bolt that flashes.

I have had this machine since 2007 & bought 2 batteries. I will switch them from time to time, no set schedule. The one battery had started flashing, so I put the other one in & it says that it is at a 77% charge. It has gone up to 85% at this time so I know that it is working properly.

I read that the batteries last from 2-4 years, depending on the amount of charges. I think their phase change or charge & discharge is between 600-800 times? If I use the laptop on the battery, I generally let it run down to 20% before putting it on charge; switching out for another battery.

I am amusing that I've gotten more than my mileage from these batteries?  

I read that further mileage can be obtained by taking the battery out of the machine, instead of leaving it in. The idea is the machine is continually trickle charging the battery, as it loses charge on the shelf. The more the battery goes through its phase change, the life expectancy diminishes.

For sure letting the battery being allowed to drain below 30% before charging has worked for me. I think the battery could be allowed to 10% before recharge. The object is to "milk" the battery for its use before charging. If the battery continues to be charged, when it is only discharged a few percent, means that the battery's use is under utilized.

No Events found!