Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 01:00

Hardware Issues

I've purchased a used Dell Inspiron 1100  It did not have Window XP Pro CD to backup the OS on the computer now, so I purchased a new Windows XP pro cd.  Also, Ethernet Controller, PCI Modem, Video controller and Audio controller were not working at time of purchase.

How can I wipe the hard drive clean and Re-Install Window XP?: This may help all of my hardware issues and I would like a fresh start with this laptop.

7.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2005 01:00

At boot, while the Dell screen shows, hit F12 and choose to reload from the hdd image.  It will return the notebook to as delivered condition.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 03:00

Thanks for the info but it did not work but from that boot up menu I was able to boot from the XP cd.

After the installation of Windows XP my screen is small (640 by 480) and all options to change this setting is shaded. I've changed the size by changing the mode to 1024 by 768 but the screen is distorted like before the installation and color quality is low (8bit).

The device manager still have "?" in other devices for Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, and, Video controller. Even Universal serial bus usb controller has a "?" but my mouse is connected through the usb and it works fine. The other hardware are not working or will it update the drivers.

I have a dell optiplex resourcesCD. How will this cd or any other solution help these problems.

28K Posts

January 22nd, 2005 04:00

You need to install the chipset drivers for your motherboard as the first device drivers installed after reinstallation of Windows.  Once these drivers are installed you then need to install all drivers for other devices.   See the following reinstall guide and look under "Install Drivers and Software":

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1077514&type=SRG&l=en&s=dhs

Steve

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2005 13:00

Thanks for this information and it was very helpful. The problem that I have now is that I was given the Drivers, Utilities, and Application CD for a Optiplex desktop. How can I obtain the needed cd or the proper drivers needed for my Insprion 1100. I've tried to install the Optiplex drivers and of course that did not work.

28K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 14:00

28K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 15:00

Click on the Product Support tab at the top left of the Dell forum Window.  Enter your system service tag (should be on a label on the bottom of the laptop) and it will tell you which model you have.  With the System Service tag entered, you can then click on Downloads, then choose the download category as "All" and "Windows XP" as the operating system, then click on the submit button to find all possible drivers for that system.

Steve

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2005 15:00

That link was great. Thanks. When I ran the System Software install wizard it says this computer does not support this operating system. Now I have concern about the laptop I've purchased. How can I confirm what type of laptop I have besides the tags on the bottom of the casing or is there other solutions to installing this software on this hardware.

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2005 16:00

I've followed the previous instructions and download instructions to a T but when I ran the system software installsheild wizard I get the response "This computer does not support this operating system." 

System properties general tabs says that the computer is a Celeron CPU 2.00ghz;/ 1.99 ghz; 256 mb of ram. I've installed the new windows xp software that I purchased last week.

I can't understand why I'm getting the message "This computer does not support this operating system" when I run the system software install.

10 Posts

January 24th, 2005 13:00

I've started the reinstallation odf Windows Xp and I'm still having the same issue with installing the software and drivers. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
No Events found!