Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

October 26th, 2006 20:00

Help! Coffee spill on my keyboard!

I have a Inspiron 700m notebook, and last night I spilled some coffee on my keyboard (it's an internal keyboard). Thankfully my computer still works. The coffee was only a few drops, and it covered about 4 keys, and I followed advice from other web sites to shut down the computer and use a hair dryer to dry it off. But now those keys are really sticky (it was not black coffee--it had milk and sugar in it). I researched it some more and found that sugar can cause rust to the inside panels in the computer. I don't know if this will matter much, but I don't know how this would affect the "computer hardware, so the 4 keys that were affected were [ ] ' and Enter. Is there ANY way I can get it clean without having to have the keyboard or computer replaced? I heard from someone that there are high pressure air jets and vacuums that I can use to clean in between the keyboards, but will those work in my case? What would you say is the cheapest and best solution to my problem? Thanks a lot!

272 Posts

October 26th, 2006 20:00

esprit_wolf wrote:
I have a Inspiron 700m notebook, and last night I spilled some coffee on my keyboard (it's an internal keyboard). Thankfully my computer still works. The coffee was only a few drops, and it covered about 4 keys, and I followed advice from other web sites to shut down the computer and use a hair dryer to dry it off. But now those keys are really sticky (it was not black coffee--it had milk and sugar in it). I researched it some more and found that sugar can cause rust to the inside panels in the computer. I don't know if this will matter much, but I don't know how this would affect the "computer hardware, so the 4 keys that were affected were [ ] ' and Enter. Is there ANY way I can get it clean without having to have the keyboard or computer replaced? I heard from someone that there are high pressure air jets and vacuums that I can use to clean in between the keyboards, but will those work in my case? What would you say is the cheapest and best solution to my problem? Thanks a lot!

laptop keys on a keyboard are easily to take out, all you need to do is take out the 4 keys and wash them and dry them.  Also yea sugar isn't good so you might have to take out the whole thing and clean it, before it can malfunction.  Also once you take out the keys they should be easy to put back on. 

1.4K Posts

October 26th, 2006 21:00

My experience with replacing keys has been a real horrorshow, esp. with the newer keyboards. You might call local electronic repair shops or even a jeweler and ask if they have an ultrasonic cleaning tank. You can remove your keyboard yourself; instructions are in the manual (see technical support link above).

You could also buy a new keyboard (maybe $20 or so) from Dell or www.parts-people.com or even ebay. Good luck!

October 29th, 2006 14:00

Coffee + Laptops = BAD!!!

You can try cleaning it,but your best bet is probally to get a new keyboard. And whatever you do dont take they keys out!!!!! They can be a nightmare to get back in!!!
No Events found!