Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

April 4th, 2012 05:00

How can I delete or disable Dell Media Direct???

An annoying media direct popup window appears on my desktop everytime I start my inspiron 1520. 

I have never used this program, nor do I ever intend to.

I have googled the problem but have not been able to eliminate or disable this program.

Has anyone faced this annoyance and been able to resolve it???

3.8K Posts

April 5th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you do not use it, try disabling it in the startup. Click on start, all programs, accessories, run, type in msconfig and press enter, click on the startup tab on top, Uncheck box that says Dell Media Direct, click on apply and click on ok, restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

54 Posts

April 5th, 2012 04:00

Royan..thanks for your help, that was the first thing I tried, problem is its bot listed in the startup programs.

3.8K Posts

April 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

The Media direct is on a hidden partition on your hard drive. So formatting that partition will remove Dell Media Direct. Please make a backup off all your data before you try that step to be on the safer side. You will need to boot from the windows disc by pressing the F12 key at the Dell logo, to see the partitions on the hard drive. You will need to be careful not to format the windows partition, recovery partition, and the diagnostic partition.

Thank you

Royan

3.8K Posts

April 5th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

You will need to click on Install Now, and then it will show you the list of partitions, select the Media direct partition, and click on drive options and then format.

Royan

54 Posts

April 5th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

In attempting to boot from the Windows Disk by pressing F12 my 1520 screen shows a "loading files sequence" followed by a "install Windows" screen prompting me to choose the language I wish to use in the Vista installation

I fear proceeding further as I do not want to proceed with a full Vista OS installation as this will reformat my HD

Can you pls clarify what I may be doing wrong and exactly what steps will be needed to view the hidden drive so that I may delete Windows Media Direct....also is there anything else on this hidden drive?

Royen, thanks for your help!!

54 Posts

April 5th, 2012 21:00

Hi Royen

I found the Dell Media Direct partition using your instructions and  formatted it.

The Dell Media Direct Window still appears when the laptop comes out of Sleep state

The once hidden sector now appears in My Computer

It is now a 2.5 GB partition and it is now appears as Empty Disk F with 2.42GB free of 2.49GB.

When I try to explore the disks contents it says empty.

What do you think might have happened??????

I greatly appreciate your expertise and help in solving this strange problem

Jim

No Events found!