Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2015 04:00

How to enable the FN key?

I somehow lost all Fn key associated shortcuts.  None of the F1-F12 or the brightness keys work when I hold down the Fn key anymore.  I have a latitude E6410 with windows 7.  I tried setting the system to "FN only" in BIOS but this has not worked.  I have not upgraded windows or installed any new programs.  I think I accidentally turned off the functionality of the FN key without realizing as I was trying to figure out how to wake up or put the laptop to sleep but I'm not sure.  I spent many hours searching online but could not find anything specific to my situation. This is very frustrating, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciated.

1.8K Posts

July 8th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

Here is the solution that I'm quoting from this thread on the forums:

On Windows 7, just open Windows Mobility Center, and toggle Function Key Row to "Function Key" instead of "Multimedia key". It's as easy as that...

I hope this helps.  If it doesn't please let us know.   The FN key functionality is part of the Dell Quick Set utility / driver and you may need to unistall and reinstall that software if the above doesn't work.  You can find that on our Dell Support Pages by inputting your service tag and then go to Drivers & Downloads when the pages direct you to the support pages for your model.

Let me know how it goes.

Todd

No Events found!