Highlighted
aschildbach
Bronze

How to update BIOS without floppy and without Windows installed?

I'd like to update the BIOS of my Dell Latitude X1.

I've got no floppy drive and I replaced the Windows installation with Ubuntu Linux.

Is there still any way to flash update the BIOS?

Regards,

Andreas
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ted_ck1
Silver

Re: How to update BIOS without floppy and without Windows installed?

How about pen drive or write in CD???
0 Kudos
aschildbach
Bronze

Re: How to update BIOS without floppy and without Windows installed? (incl. suggestions to Dell)

I finally managed to update the BIOS of my X1 without a diskette drive and without Windows installed (on the machine to update).

First, I got an old disk drive from the garbage and attached it to my Desktop PC (running Windows). Then, I wrote the BIOS disk image to disk. Using Nero, I could create a bootable CD from the disk. Using this CD, I could boot on the X1 and flash the BIOS.

Suggestions to Dell:

What do you think about updating the BIOS disk image writer so it can write to an attached bootable memory stick? Nowadays, every computer has got USB ports but nearly no one has got any floppy drives.

Alternatively, why don't you offer the BIOS disk image without an .EXE installer? If I would not have to write it to floppy first, I could create a bootable CD using Nero with the disc image directly. No need to take the detour of writing to a physical disk.

Regards,

Andreas

Message Edited by aschildbach on 05-23-2005 02:10 AM

0 Kudos
mamahuhu
Bronze

Re: How to update BIOS without floppy and without Windows installed? (incl. suggestions to Dell)

Hi,

Is your CD-ROM connected via USB port? I'm considering a X1 but don't want to pay the ultra expensive Dbay cdrom. If I can use my exiting USB2 encased drive, that will be super. So the X1 bois does support USB boot huh?

Thanks,
Li
0 Kudos
aschildbach
Bronze

Re: How to update BIOS without floppy and without Windows installed?

Well, at least in Germany you can't buy the X1 without a DBay-Combo-Drive or DVD-Writer.

The DBay-Drive is connected via USB2, but using a proprietary connector. You can use the socket for a standard USB2 device though.
0 Kudos
mamahuhu
Bronze

Well the question is then can you hook up a regular USB CD-ROM and boot from it ...
0 Kudos
aschildbach
Bronze

I'd say yes, but I haven't tried it.
0 Kudos
mamahuhu
Bronze

Would you kindly try it and let me know the result? I'm leaning towarding buying the X1 but if it doesn't support USB boot, then it's a no-go. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
aschildbach
Bronze

I haven't got an external CD-ROM drive, only the DBay drive from Dell. With this drive, you can certainly boot.
0 Kudos
mamahuhu
Bronze

Are you able to boot from an external hard drive or a USB key?
0 Kudos