Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

W

June 5th, 2004 19:00

Inspiron 1100 booting from USB stick.

For a quite a while I am trying to boot my Inspiron 1100 to a USB stick (128MB), which I am not very successful with. I changed the BIOS setup so the machine will try to boot from a USB device. Although I don't know how to make the USB stick bootable. Under Windows I seen that whenever the stick is plugged in 2 drives will appear and one of them is drive A: for some reason, which belongs to the USB device!! Anyway I can write the startup files (for booting) to drive A: but not the other drive which houses the other USB stick memory, under Windows the startup file copy option is not available. I copied all startup file from A: to the other drive, but both drives indicate on computer startup that there is a disk error, meaning the booting ain't work. Where is the problem and what files do I need to write to the USB drive to able to boot from it? I assume during startup the BIOS will recognize the USB stick as a whole, not as Windows does and splits it up in two drives (such as A: and F:).

My current BIOS version is A029.

Any help is very much appreciated. 

623 Posts

June 5th, 2004 22:00

@wolperdinger wrote:

For a quite a while I am trying to boot my Inspiron 1100 to a USB stick (128MB), which I am not very successful with. I changed the BIOS setup so the machine will try to boot from a USB device. Although I don't know how to make the USB stick bootable. Under Windows I seen that whenever the stick is plugged in 2 drives will appear and one of them is drive A: for some reason, which belongs to the USB device!! Anyway I can write the startup files (for booting) to drive A: but not the other drive which houses the other USB stick memory, under Windows the startup file copy option is not available. I copied all startup file from A: to the other drive, but both drives indicate on computer startup that there is a disk error, meaning the booting ain't work. Where is the problem and what files do I need to write to the USB drive to able to boot from it? I assume during startup the BIOS will recognize the USB stick as a whole, not as Windows does and splits it up in two drives (such as A: and F:).

My current BIOS version is A029.

Any help is very much appreciated. 

Download and install the Dell Diagnostics Bootable USB Flash Drive utility linked in my sig below.  If your system supports booting from a USB drive, you can then select F12 during bootup and select to boot from this flash drive.

14.4K Posts

June 6th, 2004 08:00

June 9th, 2004 09:00

Thanks for the input so far. I was able to install the suggested dell diagnostics software and booted from the USB stick. Well the problem I am having right now is that I'd like to access the harddisk or CD-rom drive which doesn't seem to possible now as the computer is exclusively booted from the USB drive only and no other drive can be seen. How can I boot to the USB drive only including having access to all the other computer drives as well?

Thanks in advance.

No Events found!