Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2017 22:00

Inspiron 14 5000 heats after shut down

Hi,

My Dell Inspiron 14 - 5000 series heats up after shut down and then it doesn't turn on by pressing the power bottom. In order to turn it on again, I have to press the power  bottom for 12 seconds.

This is an intermitent problem, some times it happens others it shuts off normally and then turns on normally. 

The configuration is WIN10 Pro 64bits, 8GB RAM, SDD 500 GB, BIOS v10. 

Please some help.

Thanks,

Pablo. 

July 10th, 2017 17:00

SOLVED!

Was not the graphics drivers. Was the driver of "Intel Management Engine Interface". The one that was installed after upgrading my HDD to SSD and was giving me problems with shutting down, was version 11.0.0.1157. In order to solve, I did a downgrade to version 9.5.21.1754 which completely solved the problem.

Thanks,

2K Posts

June 23rd, 2017 21:00

Hi PABLOCONINSPIRON,

What is the exact system model?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. 

If the system overheats, download the service manual from the above link and open the chassis and clean the airvents and fan assembly with a small vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air and reapply the thermal grease for the heatsink.

Also, check if there is a Haswell driver available for your model in the above link and install the same.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

June 24th, 2017 07:00

System model is: Inspiron 5447

The BIOS is A10. It was already updated.

I didn't encounter any error after run diag (F12)

System overheats only after shut down because in fact it doesn't shut down complete. Anyway i gave a look to the fan and it is clean.

Have to check about Haswell driver.

What else can I do?

Thanks,

2K Posts

June 25th, 2017 00:00

Hi PABLOCONINSPIRON,

Thank you for the update.

The Haswell driver is not applicable for your system model.

If the system was working fine earlier, then perform a system restore to restore the machine to an earlier point where it was working fine

Restart the system in safe mode and shutdown and check if the system turns off completely.

Enable the built in admin account and check if the system goes through the shutdown process and turns off completely. This will help isolate if the issue is profile related or OS related.

Lastly,  create a system restore point and then uninstall the existing video drivers from device manager - without restarting or installing a new driver, click shutdown and check if the system turns off. If yes, then install the video drivers from the support site.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

June 26th, 2017 20:00

Thank you for your support.

This issue came since I switched from HDD to a new SSD. It was a clean installation, not an image disk so I don't have a previous restore point.

I enabled the built in admin and the results were the same. The system doesn't shutdown completely.

I uninstalled the two video drivers. Intel (R) HD and AMD Radeon R7 M260 and then I installed back from fresh downloads but the problem persist.

There is no any problem in safe mode. It shutdowns completely every time and also I notice that it takes less time in the shuting down process than when it is not in safe mode.

Some other ideas?

Thanks.

Pablo.

2K Posts

June 27th, 2017 02:00

Hi Pablo,

Since the system shutdown works fine in safe mode, I would suspect it is a driver issue.

Boot to your standard account and uninstall the existing video drivers - DO NOT install the drivers yet, shutdown the system now and check if it goes off. If yes, either the Intel or the AMD driver is causing the issue. You would need to try reinstall the driver from the vendor site - Intel or Amd

Keep us updated.

June 29th, 2017 19:00

Hi,

I uninstalled the existing video drivers without installing them back. In the meantime it was using only the windows basic driver and it goes off completely with no problem.

Then I reinstalled the drivers from Intel first and then from AMD web sites.

Intel driver updated from v20.19.15.4531 to version: 20.10.15.4624

After restarting I tried to turn it off, but the problem persist.

Do I have to delete something in the register before installing the drivers??

Thanks,

2K Posts

June 30th, 2017 21:00

Hi PABLOCONINSPIRON,

Kindly isolate which driver is causing the issue, Intel or AMD?

So, uninstall the AMD and with only Intel driver installed, try the shutdown and check. If it works, then the AMD driver is causing the issue and you could try installing the beta drivers or older driver from Dell support site.

After uninstalling the AMD driver, if the issue persists, then the Intel driver is causing the issue. Then try reinstalling older Intel drivers and check if it works.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

July 10th, 2017 20:00

Hi PABLOCONINSPIRON,

Glad to hear you managed to resolve the issue.

Regarding the Intel MEI, we shall pass this feedback to the relevant team.

No Events found!