Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2012 22:00

Inspiron 1420 System Restore

I am attempting to restore my Inspiron 1420 to factory settings. I am no longer using the computer, and am planning on giving it to someone else, so I would like my personal information removed.

All of the support links say to choose Repair Your Computer from the Advanced Boot Options menu, but when I get there, I do not have that option. The options I have, in order, are: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable low-resolution video, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Disable automatic restart on system failure, Disable Driver Signature Enforcement,  and Start windows normally.

Apparently, since my computer is out of warranty, it is impossible to contact Dell tech support without paying fees. I also cannot find any documentation about whether or not I need restore discs. I do not think I have them, but I know it would be possible to boot from the disc and restore that way. Can anyone offer me some insight? I have been getting pretty frustrated on the regular support pages.

Thank you for your time and help!

4.4K Posts

August 17th, 2012 05:00

Hi  Tat11,

Welcome to the Community,

If your system came with Windows XP installed and if the recovery partion is still intact,than try the steps below to restore the system to factory settings :

At start up( before Dell logo goes off the screen),press and hold down Ctrl key and keep tapping F11 (while holding down Ctrl key),than select Restore and follow the on the screen instructions.

If the system came with Windows Vista and since you don't see the Repair Your Computer option in F8(Advanced boot options Menu),try these steps below :

Start your system normally,type CMD in search box,right click on CMD,select Run as Administrator.

On Command Prompt type the following command  and press enter after each command:

path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32 (press enter)

d:               (press enter)

cd tools    (press enter)

imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\   (press enter)

If this works it will begin the restore process within one to two minutes.

In case both methods do not work,than only way to format the HDD is to use the Windows Operating system CD.If you do not have the Cd's and if you're in United States,use this link below to request for copy of back up disc :

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

Hope this helps,

Thank You

1 Message

January 16th, 2013 07:00

me too I'm having the same problem with my inspiron 1420 dell laptop.

4.4K Posts

January 16th, 2013 20:00

Hi  ofram77,

Welcome to the Community,

May I know which Windows version is installed on your system? Have you formatted your system before using the Windows disc?

Also did you try the steps given in my previous response?

Thank You

1 Message

May 13th, 2014 19:00

I tried what u recommended above but it says when I input the CD tools prompt that "the system cannot find the path specified"

No Events found!