Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron 14z Ultrabook - Frozen on dell logo

Hi,

I just bought my Inspiron 14z Ultrabook three days ago. The first time works fine, but now it's frozen on the Dell logo screen.

I have been able to run a diagnostic test  if I hit the f12, and it's all ok.

When I hit f8 and the bar is fully loaded nothing happens.

I don't know what else can do. Please help me.

1.8K Posts

November 30th, 2012 07:00

Hi coyarzun8989,

It can be annoying when a new computer freezes and fails to boot. Please follow the steps provided below to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

November 30th, 2012 08:00

Thank you so much man!  It works

2 Posts

November 30th, 2012 18:00

This somewhat worked for me as well.. why did this issue happen in the first place?

I can not boot still.. it said it needed to repair windows.. then rebooted, and back to the same issue.

Any ideas? How do I re-install Windows 8 with no disk?

Thanks

1 Message

December 1st, 2012 00:00

It works for me also....

Thanks..

1 Message

December 1st, 2012 06:00

I have the same issue on a brand new inspiron 14z, but the above steps did not fix the problem. Booting still hangs on the Dell screen.

What is the next thing that I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

1.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Thank you for providing an update on the status. HelloJerry and vtiase, please let me know if this issue occurred out of the box or after setting up the system initially.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

As per the steps instructed above have been done, but, unfortunately the problem is not solved. Kindly, guide me in this regard. I will be greatful, if you can adivse me to proceed further.

1.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 15:00

Hi swaroop102,

Please let me know if this issue occurred out of the box or after setting up the system initially.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Yes, the issue occurred out of box only as i have used the laptop for a few days after setting up the system initially.

But, i have hardly used for 2 days.

Please advise me to rectify the issue.

1.8K Posts

December 9th, 2012 14:00

Hi swaroop102,

Thank you for your reply and apologize for the delay in responding to your request. Please follow the steps provided below

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from RAID to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to RAID.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

Please follow the steps provided below in the pictures to conifgure the Intel Smart Response Technology:

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

1 Message

December 13th, 2012 21:00

Could you please let us know why this is happening?

We bought the 14z at costco 2 weeks ago. 

Got the Dell logo hand up issue.

Spent 1 hour and 10 minutes on the phone with Dell without any resolution.

Costco concierge told me it was a motherboard problem

Returned the laptop to Costco and got a new 14z, assuming that it was just a defective unit.

We've had the new one for 1 week and it just happened again.

That's two brand new computers in one household with the same problem. 

Statistically that sounds like you have a recall situation on your hands.

If you can't give us a reason for this occurrence we are going to swap this out for an HP and let Costco know the issue is with the entire line.

1 Message

December 16th, 2012 10:00

Same problem.  Computer would not boot after the first time it was shut down.  Following the instructions worked temporarily.  When I went to configure Smart Response, I see that the SSD is failed.  Then, another problem occurred: the computer constantly sees the "s" key being pressed, making it almost impossible to use even basic functions requiring the keyboard.  I managed to System Refresh, and now I'm back at the stuck on Dell logo problem, and switching to AHCI doesn't help.  Very disappointed with this new computer, ordered direct from Dell.com.  

1.8K Posts

December 19th, 2012 14:00

Hi jonwestwood,

It would be upsetting when the system is stuck while booting into Windows and appreciate your efforts to fix it.  I’d suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
3.At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.
4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

2 Posts

December 26th, 2012 13:00

I have the same problem! just tried this solution but didn't work!!! even worse!! now it tries the automatic repair but is not working!! and now when i try to reset it.. it says a partition of the disk is missing!! what can i do!! i'm desperate!!!

1 Message

December 27th, 2012 22:00

I too have tried the above...

ex 1 -> I did the scanning for errors (nothing returned with problems)

ex 2 -> I did the f2 at start up (dell logo screen) and did the whole switch from intel smart to ahci and then back..

My Problem [STILL HAPPENING :/ ] is that my computer gets stuck at the Dell Logo screen and won't let me use my computer!

Other information :

- purchased this month, only used once and it was setting up stuff in windows 8...

- when I start up the computer, the top 3 buttons on the right (above the keyboard) flash in a pattern ---> left, middle, right, middle, left, all 3 @ once

Edit: I just tried the smart setup and ahci again, it didn't work.. then I turned off and came back 15 mins later and then turned the computer off and then on again and let it load w/o pressing anything and it worked! O.o ... only took 3 attempts on the intel smart start to ahci thing

No Events found!