Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

December 30th, 2008 00:00

Inspiron 1525 Problems

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 in April 2008.

About 1 month ago I noticed that my computer would automatically shut down when the power cord was removed, I hovered over the battery icon in the bottom right corner and it said 0% available plugged in, not charging.

I Googled the phrase plugged in, not charging and realised lots of people were having the same problem.

I have tried

• restarting and shutting down my computer (with and without battery and with and without power cord)
  • removing and replacing my battery (while laptop is on and off)
  • a replacement battery from Dell
  • my sister's battery and power cord (she also has a 1525)in my laptop and get the message plugged in, not charging. My battery in her laptop will charge but my power cord in her laptop says plugged in, not charging
  • removing the battery with the laptop on then restarting the laptop and replacing the battery
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the Power Management Software
  • switching between power plans
  • flashing with current bios

All 3 batteries (hers, my original and my replacement) have adequate charge (50% or higher)

I run with Windows Vista Home Basic edition

I had a phone call from the Dell Online Technician. 

He said to;

·        Shut Down the laptop.

·        Press the power button then tap the F2 key until a blue screen appears.

·        On the left sided menu arrow down to Battery Info.

·        On the right side of the screen my computer showed

·         Battery Status = idol

·         Battery % Charged = 99%

·         AC Adaptor = Unknown Device Installed

He then told me that he'll to post me a new ac adaptor.

I did the F2 thing on my sisters computer, hers said

• Battery Status = idol
  • Battery % Charged = 99%
  • AC Adaptor = 60 w

Then I did it again on mine with her power cord and mine said

• Battery Status = idol
  • AC Adaptor = Unknown Device Installed

I got my new AC Adaptor and tried the F2, again no luck, still reads as an unknown device.

When I connected the new  AC adaptor I noticed that the battery light flashes 4 times amber/orange/red and one time blue (prior to my new AC adaptor I had no battery light)

The manual says the computer and/or battery is to hot to charge if the battery light flashes amber then blue and to disconnect from the AC power.  I shut down my laptop and removed my battery and my power cord, but I stil get the flashing battery light when I restart.

Can someone please help me!

1 Message

November 16th, 2009 17:00

Did you ever get this problem solved? I am experiencing the same thing right now.

Thanks!

940 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 11:00

Any update from either of you on this?

1 Message

February 20th, 2010 11:00

Hey, don't knwo if any of you have solved this problem by now but I spent all day working with the same issue and solved it!!! Apparently the blinking light meant the battery was too hot and thus wouldnt charge and all that. I'm not sure if this is the proper way, but this is what worked for me: I let the battery run until it died, then left it alone all day until it completley cooled off. some how when i plugged it back in at night and tuened it on, all better, no more extra heat and no more blinking lights. And the status confirms that it its plugged in and charging. Hope this helps someone!

6 Posts

April 24th, 2010 05:00

I believe the problem is caused by the laptop socket failing to make contact with the centre pin of the power supply plug.

The power (high current) is carried on the coaxial barrel of the power plug, inside and out. In the centre is a small pin that connects to a chip in the power brick to identify the power supply type/model. If this doesn't connect you get the "unknown power supply" error and the laptop will run on the power but not charge the battery. The power LED will also stay off.

My workaround was to pack out the centre of the laptop's power socket with some fine copper wire strands, these then made the contact between the pin on the plug and the centre of the socket and everything went back to normal.

Apparently the springs in the centre of the socket lose their grip fairly easily and this is a common problem / design fault.

Phil

9 Posts

July 18th, 2010 21:00

good to know

1 Message

July 21st, 2011 14:00

hello

I do have the same problem on a same laptop, do you think pulling a little bit the central pin of the connector will

connect with the chip in the power brick, or the secret is on the diameter of such pin?

thnks in advance

1 Message

February 13th, 2012 10:00

The Problem with your machine is neither the power supply or the battery.

These modern dell laptops have a signal pin in the middle of the power adapter plug.
Based on your diagnostics I am able to draw the conclusion that the issue is with your power plug curcuit board inside the laptop.
The one thing dell did do right is make them into removable modules. You can get a replacement on ebay for about $15.

Once the board is replaced, your laptop will recognize that you have a dell compatible replace and procede to charge your battery.

I have seen this many times and everyone is angry at dell for this flawed design..

I hope this information helps you out.

Sterling
Eclipse Computer Solutions
www.EclipseComputerStore.com

1 Message

August 13th, 2012 13:00

you probably solved it by now but I did the F2 and got into my BIOS

• Battery Status = idol
  • Battery % Charged = 31%

I pulled out the AC plug and replugged it in while turning it (like a key)

The AC Adaptor changed to 65W and I have not had another problem yet. (It is like it just needs a kick start) LOL Hopefully this helps someone.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 21:00

from my experience with Dell laptops, I found out that you have to use original Dell parts for replacement, specially battery or adapter.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 21:00

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 in April 2008.

About 1 month ago I noticed that my computer would automatically shut down when the power cord was removed, I hovered over the battery icon in the bottom right corner and it said 0% available plugged in, not charging.

I Googled the phrase plugged in, not charging and realised lots of people were having the same problem.

I have tried

• restarting and shutting down my computer (with and without battery and with and without power cord)
  • removing and replacing my battery (while laptop is on and off)
  • a replacement battery from Dell
  • my sister's battery and power cord (she also has a 1525)in my laptop and get the message plugged in, not charging. My battery in her laptop will charge but my power cord in her laptop says plugged in, not charging
  • removing the battery with the laptop on then restarting the laptop and replacing the battery
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the Power Management Software
  • switching between power plans
  • flashing with current bios

All 3 batteries (hers, my original and my replacement) have adequate charge (50% or higher)

I run with Windows Vista Home Basic edition

I had a phone call from the Dell Online Technician. 

He said to;

·        Shut Down the laptop.

·        Press the power button then tap the F2 key until a blue screen appears.

·        On the left sided menu arrow down to Battery Info.

·        On the right side of the screen my computer showed

·         Battery Status = idol
·         Battery % Charged = 99%
·         AC Adaptor = Unknown Device Installed

He then told me that he'll to post me a new ac adaptor.

I did the F2 thing on my sisters computer, hers said

• Battery Status = idol
  • AC Adaptor = 60 w

Then I did it again on mine with her power cord and mine said

• Battery Status = idol

I got my new AC Adaptor and tried the F2, again no luck, still reads as an unknown device.

When I connected the new  AC adaptor I noticed that the battery light flashes 4 times amber/orange/red and one time blue (prior to my new AC adaptor I had no battery light)
The manual says the computer and/or battery is to hot to charge if the battery light flashes amber then blue and to disconnect from the AC power.  I shut down my laptop and removed my battery and my power cord, but I stil get the flashing battery light when I restart.

Can someone please help me!

1 Message

April 15th, 2014 09:00

Had this problem with a N4110. Took the power cable out, removed the battery and pressed the power button for a few sec. Placed the battery back in and then plugged the power back in. Do not turn on the laptop. The light should turn white and stay white. if not, I would look into the possibility of the power jack inside the laptop as being the culprit. Happy computing!

No Events found!