Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 1st, 2014 16:00

Inspiron 15R N5110 Only Works When Plugged In.

My laptop just shut down on me out of nowhere. The battery wasn't low, in fact it had just finished charging. It wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it back in and tried. The battery is at 86%, not charging. The battery indicator light flashes red 4 times, then white then off.

It can now only run when it is plugged in. I can start my laptop and it runs fine while plugged in but as soon as it is unplugged, it shuts off.

I assume this is a hardware issue and I have no idea what caused it. Nonetheless, I used the diagnostic tools provided and found no issue and tried a system restore to no avail.

My laptop is a few weeks out of warranty (classic) so I was wondering if anyone knew of any easy fixes.

Thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 1st, 2014 20:00

Hi Tsixa,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
  2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
  3. you will now be on the BIOS screen
  4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
  5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer after the above steps by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let me know the findings.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 06:00

I forgot to mention that the main problem is that my laptop now only works when it is plugged in. I can't unplug the power adapter and plug it back in to see if that solves the problem because my computer just turns off.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 19:00

Okay so now my laptop can no longer run being plugged in since my AC Adapter is no longer working.

My laptop shut off out of nowhere despite being plugged in. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it still won't turn on. The blue light indicating that the AC Adapter is getting power turned off too. I tried another wall socket and that didn't help. Eventually, I was able to get the blue light on the adapter back on but as soon as I plug it into my laptop it shuts off.

I think my laptop is shorting the AC Adapter. What's going on Dell?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 4th, 2014 20:00

Hi Tsixa,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to switch ON the system.

If the light indicator on the AC adapter goes OFF when connected to the system then there seems to be short on the motherboard. You would need to replace the system board on the laptop.

No Events found!