Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

79 Posts

December 18th, 2004 14:00

Inspiron 8100 & Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard/Mouse Issue

Sorry for the long title but....

I just purchased the above keyboard and mouse. The problem is that in order to boot the computer I have to unplug the keyboard/mouse connector from the back of the machine until the system goes through the BIOS boot. I do not have to disconnect the USB connection. If I forget and leave the system plugged in, the BIOS boot hangs with the slider about 1/3 of the way across the boot screen. As soon as the BIOS is about halfway across I can plug the Keyboard/Mouse port back in and it boots fine. I spoke to another person who has the exact same problem. Is this something unique that I have to live with or has someone figured out a way around this? I think this is a BIOS issue instead of a simple keyboard/mouse issue. What are the chances of Dell releasing a BIOS upgrade to fix this issue?

208 Posts

December 18th, 2004 16:00

In fact is a BIOS problem. If your current BIOS version is A15 then you will need to wait until they release a new version. but don't know if they are going to do that. It happen with other devices like usb keys, etc.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2005 11:00

I just wanted to let you know, that there are others having the same problem :-(

Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard, attached to my Inspiron 8200 (BIOS: A11) either via the PS/2 port at the rear, or via a C/Dock II, computer hangs if the blue (keyboard) jack is plugged in after a cold boot. Plugging in the mouse connector is OK, a warm boot is OK as well. If the keyboard is plugged in after the BIOS self test has finished it does work wothout a problem. It also works OK when attached to a Latitude C610.

May be a BIOS or a hardware incompatibility, and I haven't found a fix yet.

Armin

79 Posts

January 19th, 2005 12:00

I am not 100% sure but think the issue may be a conflict with the touchpad driver although I fail to understand how that can hang the system during the BIOS test. I removed my touchpad driver and the system boots and runs fine with both the keyboard as well as the mouse hooked up. I didn't make any other changes to the system.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2005 12:00

... just in case someone has the same problem ... I found a workaround: when I put an external KVM switch in between the Keyboard and the Inspiron the computer boots, and as far I can tell after 5 minutes of using it everything is working OK.
No Events found!