Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2012 17:00

Inspiron Mini 10 (1010) HDD Replacement

Hey all,

I am repairing a friend's Mini 10 and the HDD is bad.  Won't boot to the OS nor the Diagnostics partition, and when I did manage to get the diags to run one time, there were bad sectors all over the drive (which is sad considering it has a manufacture date of 16 July 2010).  I can get a new drive to install and it will accept an OS, but I need to get the Restore/Diagnostics partition back on the drive so I can reset the PC back to factory fresh.  Obviously, this is an out-of-warranty Mini, shipped with Windows 7 Starter SNPC OA operating system on the original 160GB WD Scorpio Blue (WD1600BEVT - 75A23T0) drive.

Can ANYONE tell me how I can get a Restore/Diagnostics partition image back onto a clean replacement drive without paying $ for tech support?

Thanks for any and all responses in advance.

Kevin

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi KevinOBWan,

When you got the laptop have you created a ‘Recovery disk’ using the USB thumb drive? In case if you have not created the Recovery disk, you may have to purchase the operating system disk or USB to install the operating system in your computer.

3 Posts

October 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi Senthil, No. I am attempting to repair the Mini for a friend. They, like many typical users, didn't take the time to create backups for a recovery strategy should the worst befall them. When I got the Mini, it was already in dire straits, and I was unable to pull an image of the recovery partition off of the bad drive before it finally capitulated. I have been able to acquire recovery partitions of HP equipment from their website in the past, but Dell is proving to be most difficult in providing self-service support for its out-of-warranty equipment. I was hoping someone had pulled a .iso image of their recovery partition and made it available somewhere. While I have you, what would that Restore CD cost, and how long would it take to deliver? Thanks for your input. Kevin

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 01:00

Hi KevinOBWan,

Since you, mentioned that system is Out of Warranty, please contact the Out of Warranty department and their phone number is 1-800-288-4410 for United States only, you can purchase the USB stick with windows 7 installation, part number is VFH2C. This part number is for United States only, in case you’re from different region please let us know.

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 15:00

Right. Thanks. I figured this would be the boilerplate answer from Dell. And no mention of a price as I requested. Can't wait to hear how much this will cost my friend.

Anyone else? Please?

Thanks in advance, again.

Kevin

3.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 08:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                    

No Events found!