Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2013 16:00

Inspiron N4010 Fails to Start Video Recording Webcam

I have an Inspiron N4010 and my webcam no longer works.  In Device Manager, it shows under Imaging Devices and shows that it is working properly and I have the latest driver.  When I am in Dell Webcam Central, and click Record, I receive this message:

Failed to start video recording.  There may be a problem with the video capture device or the audio recording device.

Since the microphone is working properly, it is obvious that it is the webcam.  I can't video chat in ooVoo or Skype either.  All the other person gets is sound.

I checked and I have the latest driver.  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Dell Webcam Central.  Nothing has worked and I would love a solution.  Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows is not a very good option for me at this point.  I thought about taking my laptop apart (don't worry, I am qualified) and checking to see if the wire came loose or was damaged somehow.  Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

August 7th, 2013 17:00

Hi cdhedrick,

Try uninstalling the USB Controllers from the device manager and restart the system.

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen 
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Universal Serial Bus Controller’
  • Right click on the ‘USB Root’ Hub entry and click on ‘Uninstall’
  • Restart the system.

You may run the PC Checkup diagnostics available in the Dell Support Center application.

Please share the operating system in question for further assistance.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

8 Posts

Sorry, I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit.

What do I need from the Dell Support Center app?  I don't have it on my laptop and when I went to download it, it gave me this error:

There was a conflict with a downloaded rule's digital signature.

I will check to see if the drivers are on the Dell website.  If they are, I will try your steps and get back to you with results.  Thanks.

8 Posts

I don't see the USB driver on the Dell website....

August 7th, 2013 18:00

Hi cdhedrick,

Dell Support Center application includes the Dell PC Checkup used to run test on the system or a specific part.

You may try downloading the application from the link http://dell.to/176Twko.

If you face any issues while downloading, try a different browser and also check if the system date and time is showing correctly.

Also the USB 2.0 drivers are a part of the Chipset driver and so are not listed separately.

System restart would automatically install back the USB drivers as USB 2.0 has native support in windows 7.

8 Posts

August 7th, 2013 18:00

I was unable to download the Dell Support Center application through Chrome or Internet Explorer.  I did uninstall the USB Root Hub drivers and restarted my computer.  It reinstalled the drivers, including the Webcam driver, successfully.  After that, I opened Dell Webcam Central, but still received the same error message as before:

Failed to start video recording.  There may be a problem with the video capture device or the audio recording device.

August 12th, 2013 18:00

Hi cdhedrick,

You may try running the online diagnostics from the link http://dell.to/15vqoRn.

Click on the link and select ‘Hardware’.  Select ‘Camera’ from Diagnostic Selector and run test.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2013 15:00

I was unable to run the diagnostic, I am getting the same message that I get when I try to download anything Dell related.  It says that there was a problem with the download.  I guess I am just stuck.  I bought a webcam and I am using that now.  Thanks for all the help everyone has provided in trying to correct this issue.

August 13th, 2013 17:00

Hi cdhedrick,

For the error ‘’There was a conflict with a downloaded rule's digital signature’’, you may try to turn off the Digital Signature.

Refer to the following link for the steps. The link is:

http://bit.ly/O1FfeP

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2013 19:00

Method one did not work, I will try method two and let you know what happens.  Thanks!!!

August 16th, 2013 18:00

Hi cdhedrick,

I am still awaiting your response if method two helped resolving the issue.

8 Posts

August 19th, 2013 15:00

I am still getting the same results, even with method two.  I feel like I am going to need to reload my computer in order to fix this.  It's definitely not what I want to do, but once I find a couple hours one Saturday, I will just do that.  Thank you for your help.

August 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi cdhedrick,

The issue with the digital signatures usually occurs if the system date and time is not correct or at times a BIOS update may fix the issue.

You may try updating the BIOS from the link http://dell.to/1dnCnIn.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

If this does not help, you may refer to the links below to restore the system to factory settings or reinstalling windows.

Steps to restore to factory settings: http://dell.to/16payKB

Steps to install windows: http://dell.to/12V8j4Q

Note: Please back up all your data before restoring / reinstalling Operating system on the machine.  Dell will not be responsible for any data loss/ data back up after operating system reinstallation.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further.

8 Posts

August 19th, 2013 18:00

I have updated to the latest BIOS, but I am still getting the same error when I try to install Dell Support Center.

August 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi cdhedrick,

As the BIOS update did not help resolve the issue, you may backup your important data and restore the system to factory settings once you have time.

You may also reinstall the operating system.

No Events found!