Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2012 04:00

Inspiron N5050 won't Boot!

My 2.5 months old Inspiron N5050 laptop won't boot up. When I press start button, fan starts and disc drive lights up with a full black screen.  Start button has no light and within a few second will start 2 beeps continuously until I press the start button. After removing the battery and doing a hard refresh it still won't start-up and now it doesn't even beep anymore. 

Any suggestion please.  Thanks.

3.8K Posts

July 9th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. 2 beeps means a memory error. Use the below link to reseat your memory, I also suggest you try one memory at a time, or try swapping the memory in different slots. This will tell you if its an issue with one memory stick or the memory slot itself.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Thank you

6 Posts

July 9th, 2012 05:00

HI Royan,

thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, the laptop doesn't beep at all anymore. PLus if I open up the laptop wouldn't that cease the warranty coverage? Can't anyone check what the problem is with the service tag?

Thanks,

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 11th, 2012 04:00

Run an extended Dell diagnostics - particularly on the hard drive.  F12 at powerup.

6 Posts

July 11th, 2012 04:00

HI,

Can anyone help me with this please? If we do a memory swap in the slots does that void the warranty?

Secondly, the laptop rebooted yesterday and the screen started working as well. Managed to do a system repair to a previous date etc. and now it's not working at all again. Don't think it's got to do with memory.

Can't anyone check what the problem is with the service tag?

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 11th, 2012 09:00

Can you get an image on an external screen?

6 Posts

July 11th, 2012 09:00

Would love to do that, but as I said, it's working again anymore. completely black screen with only the fan working.

6 Posts

July 12th, 2012 03:00

nope :(

6 Posts

July 13th, 2012 02:00

So, I've connected the laptop to an external screen as well. Nothing happens.

Basically, when you "turn-on" the laptop you see the tiny light on indicating it's on, the fan is working but there's zero functionality or noise. You don't at all hear the laptop booting up or see the screen coming on.

Does Dell have any post-sales Customer Support?? I've been asking for someone to get my service tag and have a look at it but no response yet! Regretting buying a Dell now..

1 Message

December 4th, 2012 20:00

Yo my computer is doing this blackscreen and beeping on and off now man it's a brand new laptop too I hate this!! I needs my files! It keeps beeping 8 times. It did it before but then I whaced it and it was all good for a few more days but now I fear it may be too far gone.

1.1K Posts

December 5th, 2012 00:00

Hi Jules U. Doe,

I believe your system is Inspiron N 5050. If so, 8 beeps indicate LCD failure. I wil recommend you to connect an external monitor with your system and see if that works fine.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

December 8th, 2012 21:00

hi

my dell N5050 is having almost similar problems, the difference is that there are no beeps at all, power terns on, fan is on, optical drive blinks, there is no display and when I press the power button again no matter how much later system turns off instantly. I think there is some problem with the bios maybe. please help

regards

khurram

1.1K Posts

December 11th, 2012 23:00

Hi khurram,

Please let me know the exact status of the power LED (Blinking amber/Solid Green etc).

I will recommend you to drain the flea power and see if that makes a difference:

• Disconnect all the external peripherals.
  • Unplug AC Adapter and also take off the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Connect the AC Adapter back, restart the system and check if the system is working fine.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

December 30th, 2012 11:00

My N5050 started this withing 1 month of receiving it.  I would see the Dell splash screen and then just a blank monitor, nothing.    I opened the case and noticed the hard drive had come lose.  I re-seated it, works fine, but the HDD still comes lose on occasion and I have to re-seat it again.

Today I got the 5 beeps on start up.  From what I gather it is a CMOS battery, easy enough to fix.

I should have sent this back immediately, but I didn't. 

I don't know about the Dell warranty, if cracking the case voids warranty, then don't do it unless you know what your doing inside.

One other issue I have is an over sensitive mouse pad.  I can't find a solution for this anywhere.

August 20th, 2013 14:00

Thanx Very Much Dear Vickram as your given instructions proved very much useful to me.

1 Message

January 24th, 2016 20:00

I am having an issue with a dell 5050 I have been using Without any problems.  laptop did not turn on when I pressed the power button. The power adapter looks to be working, the green light is still on, even when I plugged it into the laptop. The only way to boot up laptop if I remove the CMOS battery and put it back in.

I can do a system restart from there and it will restart with no problem. But if I do a shutdown of "turn off" as windows calls it the system will not start up unless I pull the CMOS battery out again and replace it. I changed battery  the same picture  so the prblem isn't in battery.

I don't knoW What to do ? Any advice Will be appreciated !

No Events found!