Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 24th, 2013 08:00

Installing Windows 8 on Dell XT2 Display Issue Fix

Recently I bought a refurbished Dell XT2.  I bought it as I was looking for a tablet like computer.  The new XPS 12 was just too expensive and the XPS 10 too small.  Any others I looked at with convertible displays or tablets with optional keyboard docks were very expensive as well $500 and up.  Got this for only $379 at Future Shop.  Before you do this make sure your BIOS are updated to A13

I was having huge trouble loading Windows 8 on it.  I tried to load it as an upgrade and from clean install and the same thing happened each time I did it.  The display would work for a bit and then shut off completely.  I was lucky I had an external monitor.  I plugged into that and began to try and figure out what was wrong.  It took me two days but I discovered that the Ambient Light Sensor was the issue and must be turned off before you install Windows 8.  I did a clean install and went into the BIOS settings after and turned it off, but I'm sure if you turn it off before you do any Windows Upgrade or clean install it should work.  If it doesn't you'll have to use an external monitor.  Make sure all Windows Updates are done before installing any Dell Software back on the laptop.  I have since reinstalled the Dell Control Point System Manager for Windows 7 64 bit (use the latest software found through this link http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ca/en/cadhs1/Product/latitude-xt2) and have had no issues.  All the buttons and extra features work.  The only reason I put it back on the laptop is that the buttons on the bezel wouldn't work or the ambient light sensor.  The pen worked and touch screen worked without any other add ons.  Windows 8 functions beautifully on this laptop.  With the Button Service Software there is an extra Power Management option that Windows doesn't have and you can increase battery life quite a bit using it.  I also went to N-Trig and downloaded the Windows 8 update for this package and it is working beautifully.  I do suggest a clean install on this laptop so that all registry items are cleaned out and you can start from scratch.  Windows 8 will pretty much do the rest.

No Responses!
No Events found!