Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2010 15:00

Keyboard problems on N4010

It doesn't look like this is very active but I'll post anyway.

I'm over here in S.Korea teaching English and a couple weeks ago I bought a new Dell N4010 in Seoul at the Electronics Center in Yongsan.  After I'd had it home, back in the middle of the country where I live, for a couple of days, I noticed the same kind of cursor-jumping-around problem than 'toolmanz' referred to.

I don't know if you'd refer to it as a 'defect' in design, or a malfunction or just a case of my fingers touching some other keys (as another poster suggested in relating to toolmanz's problem.  But I do know that I very, very rarely ever had this problem with any of the other computers I've had.  So as far as I'm concerned it's a problem unique to this particular unit....this Dell.

This is the first Dell I've ever had and so far it hasn't been a pleasant experience at all.  Is there any recent information on correcting this problem?

I am a good typer too.

BTW....where can I turn off the touch pad?

Regards,

Art

5.2K Posts

July 18th, 2010 18:00

Install the free utility TouchFreeze. This will disable the pad any time you are typing. Works very good.

5.2K Posts

July 19th, 2010 10:00

Available on the web. See this LINK to a download site. Just download and run.

No, the "R" is part of the model number, not "refurbished". The machine is a new Inspiron 14R. The N4010 is another name for the 14R.

Read your warranty info to see how you are covered and who will repair it. In the USA, if you purchase from a third-party (not directly from Dell), the third party is responsible for repairs.

July 19th, 2010 10:00

Thanks Kirk:

Would you please tell me where I find that program?

I'm assuming it's just a software patch that I download and install?

Also....are you in Korea?  I really got almost nothing with this unit (the Dell laptop N4010) when I bought it.  They guy there at the booth in Yongsan told me that I had a good warranty.  He said that 'they' (meaning somebody from Dell I guess) would come to my home or school for service.  I thought that sound almost too good to believe but......I couldn't be sure he was telling the truth or not since, as I say, I got basically no manuals or anything with it.

Doesn't  that sound like a strange way to sell a computer.

Also, it has a sticker on the front/forward/left side of the keyboard that says, "Inspiron 14R'.  What does that mean?  It doesn't mean 'refurbished' does it?  I hope not because that guy told me this unit was 'new'.  He was bashing HPs and saying that most of the ones sold there at Yongsan were refurbished.

Regards,

Art Williams

196 Posts

February 21st, 2011 21:00

I know this is an old topic, but I have had this problem on every touchpad laptop I have owned, Dell, Sony, IBM. I use the touchpad driver that allows you to disable the onboard touchpad when an external mouse is connected. I find using a tiny wireless external mouse is always preferrable to the touchpad anyway.

No Events found!