Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2012 22:00

Laptop Keyboard Not Working

I have a year old Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop with Windows 7 and my hard-drive went bad. I purchased a new one, put the new one in, installed windows 7 and everything seemed to be working. I updated with windows updates, just finished and my keyboard and touchpad are no longer working. I did some searching online and one forum suggested the keyboard and touchpad cables came loose while putting in the new hard drive. I opened the laptop again, but no cables seem to be loose. Is this a hardware problem, software, windows update or what?

June 6th, 2012 22:00

Hi subject1157,

Welcome to the community.

In order to isolate the issue, I would suggest you to try booting in safe mode and check the touchpad there. You can try the following steps to boot in safe mode-

Restart the system, start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see the Dell Logo. Highlight the Option "Safe Mode with Networking" and hit enter.

In case the system boots to safe mode, it means the keyboard is fine and the issue is related to software. In case the keyboard does not work, you can try an external USB keyboard.

Also in case the internal keyboard works in safe mode, you can press the touchpad enable disable key on the keyboard and then check if the touchpad starts working. The touchpad enable disable key is located at the top row of the keyboard and has a sign of “X” on it.

Let me know of the findings. Glad to be of assistance.

Chiranjeev

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

June 6th, 2012 23:00

I was able to find a driver for mouse and keyboard from dell drivers and download support site. The keyboard worked, but the touchpad didn't. I did a restart and th keyboard went out again. I restarted again and the keyboard works again, but not the touchpad. I tried safe mood but the toucpad did not work (the keyboard did)

I also tried the disable, enable key for the touchpad on the keyboard, doesn't do anything.

42 Posts

June 7th, 2012 00:00

I have tried it, but it didn't give any help at all. I tried to reset to the earlier time and haven't done any upgrade after the first one. That works for me better.

June 7th, 2012 01:00

I searched my problem out and figure it has something to do with windows updates. The keyboard was working prior and then it just wasn't after. I was able to find a driver on the dell site but after a restart the keyboard went out again. Windows Updates seems to be conflicting with the hardware's software. From my search dozens of people are having this problem with no real way to fix this. Never had this problem before. I'm going to do a clean reformat and see if that help and if it does I'm going to be hesitant to update. That or I have to get a completely new computer, which others have had to do. Unfortantly my dad who purchased it a year ago didn't get a warrenty and it's not like I have 500+ dollars laying around :S

I think I remember having lots of other minor problems when it came to windows update. USB went out for a time once and the machine slowed down. I wonder if Mac's are any better?

June 11th, 2012 20:00

Hi subject1157,

Thank you for your replies.

Well, as the keyboard worked fine in safe mode, it means the keyboard is fine and I would suggest you to press the touchpad enable/disable key when booted in safe mode. In case the touchpad enable/disable key does not respond in safe mode, you can install the quickset software in normal mode from the following link and then try pressing the key- www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

At the same time, I would also suggest you to install the correct touchpad driver from the following link-

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Let me know of the findings. Glad to be of assistance.

Chiranjeev

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

1 Message

July 5th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I have the same model, Inspiron N5030 and my keyboard is no longer working. 

The computer under Control Panel says it is there and working properly but there is absolutely nothing happening. It just doesn't fucntion at all. I opened up the laptop to see if everything is connected, it was but in the process the clip that holds the keyboard cable to the motherboard decided to very easily break on me. I got some tape to hold it securely in place and it looks alright, but despite all of this the keyboard is recognised by windows but does not operate.

Help meeee

1.3K Posts

July 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi Delluser5000,

Please try an external USB keyboard and let us know if it works.

7 Posts

August 6th, 2013 12:00

I have a Dell N7110 with Windows 7 Home 64 Bit Installed.  I too had the hard drive replaced and the keyboard is not working.  To answer some of the questions you will ask below are the answers

I bought a new keyboard = Keyboard still doesn't work

USB keyboard = works

Bios is updated

Device Manager = shows item is working and has the current driver install

Keyboard does not work in Safe mood

The mouse pad does work.  This all stated after i had the hard drive the hard drive replaced.  I used the dell restore DVD to install everything

3.1K Posts

August 6th, 2013 13:00

Hi Zerokol23,

If you system is under warranty, you may send me the Service tag of the computer and the first and last name as appears on the account so that I can check the further course of action.

7 Posts

August 6th, 2013 14:00

The name would be under my customer's name :  Paul Kantor Sevice tag number is CBQMQQ1, Express code is 26831247049.  Please advise me of my next step

3.1K Posts

August 6th, 2013 14:00

Hi Zerokol23,

Please remove the service tag and the express service code from public view for security reasons.

You may provide the information via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

Sorry, missed it in my first response.

10 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 22:00

Hi Zerokil23, Appu:

I am curious to know the solution for your issue.

I have an Inspiron N510 laptop running Win7 Home Premium that has a similar issue - keyboard not working but touchpad works. Wireless keyboard works. Same situation in safe mode. Re-installing the driver did not help. I can not find any diagnostics tests specifically for keyboard either (diagnostics on boot seems to be testing everything else). Would love to know if this is a keyboard problem or an I/O problem. NUM LOCK key seems fine. I opened up the laptop and did not find anything obviously wrong with the port connections or anything else. Of course Device manager seems happy as a clam with the keyboard.

One thing is that the keyboard from Dell came with the data cable twisted under it to fit in the space under the keyboard and connect at right angles to the on-board connector. Wondering if the data cable is shot or not. (Can we run a test to prove/disprove that...)

This unit is only  2 years 4 months old!!!!

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

1 Message

June 30th, 2014 15:00

I too wish to know the solution to this problem!!! Thanks.
No Events found!