Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2011 15:00

Laptop password not working

I have a laptop that has a password on it that is not working.  I added the password (so that my granddaughter would not use the computer) and made it the same as my login password on my office computer.  I have checked the caps lock and num lock keys,  I have turned it off and on again and still no luck.  Any ideas?

3.8K Posts

May 10th, 2011 12:00

Hi Susang0805,

Welcome to the Community. Please mention which System and Operating system you are using, this will make it easier for the Community go give you specific instructions.

If you using Windows XP:

Turn on Computer, press the F8 key at the Dell log, Select Safe mode, Log in as Adminstrator ( no need for password, if you have not setup one ), Click on start, Control Panel, User Accounts, Click on the User Name that you want to change the password, and you will have an option to Change Password.

If your using Windows Vista or Win 7, your options are limited. If you have another user account with Adminstrator priviliges, then log on using that account, and click on start, Control Pane, User Accounts, Click on the User name that you want to change password, and then change password.

If you do not have a user account with Aminstrator priviliges, then I am afraid you will need to reset your computer back to factory settings, or manually reinstall Windows.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2011 17:00

susang0805,

If this is a BIOS password, then you'll need to contact Dell for them to unlock it.

Rick

1 Message

June 24th, 2012 20:00

ok how do you reset back to factory if you can not log on to the system

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 25th, 2012 01:00

harv65,

A BIOS Password can be reset by Dell. You have to contact them with proof of ownership.

Windows Passwords, depending on the operating system, can mostly be reset if the operating system is reinstalled.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings or Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

No Events found!