Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2009 06:00

Latitude D610 Power button not working

Button "clicks" but does not power up unit.  I was successful this weekend by holding it down for a few seconds, but now that option is gone.  Tried removing the cover and using air spray on the button beneath.  No change.  Can I replace the small board unit that it is on?  Looks replaceable.

Internal corp. help desk says replace the whole motherboard.  Just replaced it in Nov. 08 because it shorted out.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2009 07:00

Thank you.

I have already performed the AC check and using it battery only.  Can you give me a little more detail on "reseating the memory modules" and why that would cause the problem?  It just seems like the contact under the button is malfunctioning.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Unless you clearly can't feel a click when you push the button, it's fine.  You can also remove the control strip and try pressing the switch underneath as a definitive test.

Loose memory modules can cause a no- or internmittent boot.  Remove and reinstall the memory modules.

The probability favors the mainboard being bad but it's worth checking first, since it's an expensive replacement if you're out of warranty.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the button clicks but the system won't power up, reseat the memory modules.  If that does nothing, verify that the LED on the AC adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end - if it's not, replace the adapter.  Finally, try without the battery - if it'll power up, replace the battery.

If you still get nothing, replace the mainboard.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 8th, 2012 13:00

No Events found!