Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 8th, 2017 16:00

Low FPS possibly because of charger?

I've got a Dell 15 Gaming 7000 laptop and have recently had massive FPS drops. Most notably in League of Legends, Paladins, and Injustice 2. In League, i used to have around 60 fps constantly. Paladins ran fine, and Injustice 2 beta had no problems with FPS. 

Recently I bought a Targus Universal Laptop Charger because the wire on my old one that came with the laptop broke. The FPS drops started a bit after that. Now in League, I'm getting FPS drops frequently when doing anything, Paladins is having a lot of skipping audio noises, and Injustice 2 sometimes feels frame by frame (When doing the FPS test, it showed an average of 44 fps). Is it possibly because of the charger being slightly weaker?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 9th, 2017 04:00

Indeed, it is.  If you look at the system setup, you'll likely find "unknown" under AC adapter.  That means the system will run as if on battery all the time, which will slow the performance appreciably.

You need to run the system on an OEM Dell AC adapter for the power circuit to operate correctly.

December 9th, 2017 14:00

Thank you for clearing that up and I hope you don't mind answering a few more questions.

A short time after using the new charger, my computer would sometimes have a really bright white screen on startup saying something about the charger not being the correct one. I don't remember what I pressed, but that screen eventually went away after I did something and has since stopped showing up. I didn't do anything too damaging to my computer, did I?

And if I get the same type of 130 Watt charger as the original one it came with, will that automatically register and fix the FPS in game? Or are there any settings I'd need to adjust? I'm not great with computers.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 9th, 2017 14:00

You suppressed the non-Dell charger error.  That's why you didn't the error again.  Go into setup - you'll see "AC Adapter unknown" -- meaning the battery won't charge and the system won't run at full speed.

Yes, replacing with the original adapter will solve the problem - as long as there's nothing extenuating (such as that the original adapter was OK and failed to be recognized - meaning a fault with the DC jack or mainboard).

December 9th, 2017 15:00

Nah, the wire just broke. Think I either dropped it or my cat played with it or something. Thank you so much though.

December 15th, 2017 11:00

So I just got a new charger, same type as my old one, but I'm still getting low FPS. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 15th, 2017 15:00

Does the system recognize the adapter or is it showing unknown in setup (F2 at powerup)?

No Events found!