Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 13th, 2010 09:00

Mini 1012 memory speed - shame on you, Dell!

I just received my new 1012 (with the new N450) and was disappointed  to find the memory speed capped at 667 Mhz . In all the advertisements I've seen (including  PDF's  downloaded directly from Dell) the memory speed is advertised at 800 Mhz  with no mention of the 667 Mhz  cap. Indeed, this memory chip is capable of running at 800 Mhz ...in a different laptop!

I believe this was done on purpose because, of course, 800 is better than 667. At the very least Dell needs to check their advertisements (including what they give to resellers) to correct this falsehood.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2010 09:00

Before you make ungrounded accusations about what Dell may have done, you might want to check the facts.  This netbook uses an Intel chipset  (more accurately, the CPU itself, since the memory controller is on the CPU) incapable of running RAM at 800 MHz, so it's not Dell that built in the limitation, but Intel.  And all other netbooks that use the same Intel chip/set have the same limitation.

As for your belief, how do you know computer engineering better than Intel? What's to say Intel didn't keep the speed lower to reduce RF emissions so the systems could be sold worldwide, along with reduce heat production and increase battery life?

Well-grounded opinions are fine to express.  Faulty ones based on ridiculous accusations based on nothing other than a cursory, biased assessment of a situation are just plain ridiculous.

Understand the technology BEFORE you spout.

14 Posts

June 13th, 2010 11:00

I'm sorry if I made you upset, but you failed to see my point entirely...aaaand  as for checking the facts -

FACT A - Since, as you state, it is so blatantly obvious that memory in this laptop (whether it be PC5300 or PC6400) will never run at speeds above PC5300, why is Dell advertising this laptop as having "1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800Mhz" on their PDF's?

FACT B - Again, because it is so obvious, I can only assume that Dell's engineers would know the bus limitations, thus leading to my conclusion that even though they knew, they decided to falsely
 advertise anyway.

My post was not a slight on the hardware limitations of the netbook. I am actually very happy with my Mini 1012. It's a solid built netbook that I purchased for an extremely good price. I am, however, unhappy that Dell decided to purposely advertise it with false information (FACT A + FACT B).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2010 11:00

How much less false could it be than this?

"1GB,DDR2,800MHZ capped at 667Mhz bus"

It's right here:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-1012/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-1012&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-inspiron-10_anav1~~

You're the one who selectively read the specifications, jumping to a faulty conclusion based on a cursory, selective reading.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

June 13th, 2010 13:00

14 Posts

June 13th, 2010 14:00

...and here is their press release.

http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d/press-releases/2009-12-21-dell-updates-inspiron-mini-10.aspx

...and here are 2 links to PDF's they distributed to resellers (I'm not going to surf for more - they're out there though).

http://c.mygofer.com/assets/misc/664885_0_20100216165037164.pdf

http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/0088411603338.pdf

Yes, I see the specs on the Mini1012 specs page. That doesn't erase the fact that Dell also released information to the contrary. Hopefully, someone who has the clout to make changes to what is being advertised, will.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2010 15:00

If you're not happy with your new system -- as it seems you are not -- you have 21 days from shipment to return it for a refund minus a restock charge.

However, note that any other netbook you buy with this CPU will have the same limitation on memory speed.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

June 13th, 2010 15:00

mygofer.com ???  seriously?   you have got to be kidding

while that PDF file may be on Walmart's webserver I don't find it linked on the actual webpage for the 1012 located at

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-10.1-Inspiron-Mini-1012-Netbook-PC-with-Intel-Atom-Processor-Windows-7-Home-Starter/13378316#Specifications

and it clearly states 667MHz Front Side Bus

as for the Dell press release, a press release is just that  a press release

things change between when a press release goes out and to when the product goes into wide availability; think of it as a commercial

it happens with many things not just computers

the Dell website order page is what YOU should pay ATTENTION to

14 Posts

June 13th, 2010 16:00

...not sure where you got that walmart link from. I just went to walmart.com, ran a search for mini 1012, and hit the first link the search returns (the one for $298). Also, front side bus speed means nothing in relation to memory speed - more often then not memory will run on a FSB multiplier other than 1:1.

The PDF I am refering to is just under the specs you are pointing out. It's the link in the sentence -  "To see the manufacturer's specifications for this product, click here."

14 Posts

LOL...sorry, should have said that FSB is not the only factor in determining memory speed. It is 50% of the equation though so I guess thats a little more than nothing.

However, your suggestion that '667Mhz front side bus' means that the memory is also running at 667Mhz is untrue.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Also, front side bus speed means nothing in relation to memory speed - more often then not memory will run on a FSB multiplier other than 1:1.

Huh?????  Means "nothing" ?????       Are you making up your own rules as you go ???  Seems like it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2010 17:00

The memory is running at 333 MHz.  DDR means just that - double data rate.The effective bandwidth is twice that.

The memory is by far not the bottleneck in this system -- the Atom CPU is relatively underpowered, and the video controller is weak.  This is not a notebook computer - it's a netbook.  It's designed for internet browsing and office applications, neither of which will benefit from 400 MHz RAM.

1 Message

January 14th, 2011 12:00

I get what the OP is trying to say. I too was a little puzzled as to why they bothered putting a 800mhz PC6400 stick in there instead of a PC5300 stick. It doesn't make much sense. I could see it being a little misleading to the computer newbies.

No Events found!