Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2011 23:00

Minor Problem: Windows Experience Index (WEI) - XPS L702X w/ Nvidia Optimus

Hi all.

I've got a new Dell XPS L702X laptop, complete with both integrated Intel GPU and discrete Nvidia GPU with Optimus. After reviewing/updating some of the Nvidia settings, I've noticed how (via the tray icon) the Nvidia GPU kicks in for certain programs, leaving the Intel GPU to be used for most regular tasks -- that's Optimus in effect. Cool.

But... I'm wondering why my Windows Experience Index is utilizing the Intel GPU when it runs its tests. My WEI ends up as 6.7, limited by the Graphics and Gaming Graphics categories. OK, 6.7 is not too bad, but I think it should be higher, because of the Nvidia card. (According to the "View detailed performance/system information", it's using the Intel GPU for the tests.)

I've tried adding the WinSAT executable (which I think is what runs WEI) to Nvidia's list of programs for Optimus' Intel->Nvidia switchover. WinSAT seems to add fine, but it doesn't help with WEI.

Any ideas, anyone? (Thanks.)

A part of me wonders if this effect is by design, as the WEI reports the score that's sort of a lowest-common-denominator of various categories, and so maybe it's normal that the Intel GPU in this case is "holding back" a better 7.x score that would be attainable if the Nvidia card was in use.

-jake898

77 Posts

July 11th, 2011 07:00

Is there really no one else here who has Optimus on their laptop and tried out running the Windows Experience Index? (What results did you get?)

1 Message

July 30th, 2011 11:00

i have also wondered about this myself  and noticed the same thing  ..............   my scores are   7.4    7.4    6.9   6.9    5.9   for a score of    5.9  .    i also think that number should be higher  with a 3 gig video card  and the assessment should be run with the nvidia gpu  which im sure would dramatically change  the sub scores on two categories .      but i have no answers  to  add here  ........

77 Posts

July 31st, 2011 23:00

I'm kind of baffled why there aren't mile-long threads of people complaining about this effect. There seem to be plenty of dedicated speed enthusiasts on this forum and others who do everything reasonably possible to max out the performance and speed of most every internal PC component they can. You'd think a low WEI score would be the first thing people would notice and address in their quest for speed...

18 Posts

September 7th, 2011 06:00

I've just received my new XPS17 here in Australia. I've set via the nvidia control panel to use the "high-performance" card in the global settings. But when I run the 3dmark11 benchmark tests, I get the same score for both the integrated graphics and the nvida gf gt555m card. Shouldnt the nvidia card get a much higher score??????

77 Posts

September 7th, 2011 12:00

Still wondering about the WEI issue too....

212 Posts

September 24th, 2011 17:00

Not sure if I can edit my post, but, I found that my BIOS was automatically reset to "Optimus" after restart so I didn't have to worry about resetting it.  Not sure if it will do that on all computers though.

212 Posts

September 24th, 2011 17:00

I don't have a Dell anymore but I found this thread through Google as I was having the same problem (well actually I'm typing this on my old Dell, but the WEI/Optimus issue I'm referring to I was having on a different laptop).  You can probably set the graphics to use discrete only in your BIOS then refresh the WEI, that's what worked for me, it changed my WEI for graphics from 4.9 to 6.7.  Just make sure to return the BIOS settings to Optimus rather than discrete only when you're done.  There's also a tool called "Nvidia optimus GPU state viewer" that you run in Windows that will indicate whether the Nvidia card is currently being used.  If you boot in discrete mode it will always say "ON", if you boot in Optimus mode it will usually say "OFF" unless you're using a program that needs the Nvidia discrete card.  Google for the tool, I found it on another discussion forum.

77 Posts

September 24th, 2011 22:00

Thanks for the suggestion, biznatch11. What kind of computer and BIOS do you use?

8 Posts

October 4th, 2011 20:00

Dell bios did not have option to use discreet graphic.

212 Posts

October 4th, 2011 22:00

I've got a Lenovo, with a Lenovo BIOS.  Maybe someone from Dell could tell you if there's another way to specify discrete vs integrated graphics.

When I ran the WEI test on discrete, I got a high score, but when I restarted the computer and reset graphics to Optimus, I checked the WEI score and it had reset to the lower score, even though I didn't repeat the test.  So somehow Windows could tell that I had reverted to the integrated graphics and it set the WEI score to the old, integrated graphics score.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2012 16:00

I am actually wondering about this also. I no longer have a dell but the asus k55vd-db51 with an nvidia 610m should give me better than 5.7 scores. The i5-3210 ivy bridge processor and it's built in hd4000 seems to be pretty close to the 610m. When I search for settings in the bios, all I find are settings to increase the dvmt pre-allocated memory amount (32m, 64m, z128m, 256m, and 512m are the choices with the default being 64m) so is there a way to specify that wei winsat utilize the discrete gpu instead? Thanks for the discussion. Nb
No Events found!