Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

1 Message

August 12th, 2008 16:00

Missing "Adapters" on Old Dell Inspiron 8500

Having recently purchased a new HP dv9700t running 64-bit Vista Ultimate, I purchased the WRT300N wireless router to set up the network. I was able to connect this via ethernet cable without issue. However, adding my second computer, which is a Dell Inspiron 8500 running XP Pro (WPC11 v. 3 wireless card), has proven an issue.

After exhausting all of the instructions for the various methods recommended by the Easylink software that came with the router, I used Linksys's live technical chat. After following his instructions, the first guy stayed logged on, but appears to have left, since in spite of continued prompts, said nothing for over 45 minutes. Thus, I opted to hang up, and start over with a new agent. The final steps, and the end of the conversation were:

Benhur S. (15501): 1. Right click My Computer.

2. Then hit Properties.

3. Click the Hardware tab.

4. Click the Device Manager.

5. Click the plus sign of the Adapters.

6. Double click the adapter you are using.

7. Then hit properties.

8. Look for the Device Status or any error message. If it says "This device is working properly" then the adapter is properly installed.

Matthew: I do not see adapters under device manager.

Benhur S. (15501): What about on the "other devices."

Matthew: There is also no "Other Devices" option

Benhur S. (15501): For that concern, I suggest that you need to contact your computer's manufacturer so that they can assist you change some settings on your computer, Matthew. The adapters option should be there in the device manager.

Matthew: So you're saying that at this point, there is nothing else you can do to help me until I've taken care of that?

Benhur S. (15501): Yes, because we cannot check the status of your WPC11 wireless adapter if it is properly installed or not on the device manager.

So what do I do now? As far as I know, I'm at a dead end unless the issue with the device manager is solved. Yet I cannot get direct phone/email/ect support from Dell's tech support department, as my warrenty is expired (after all, the computer is 6 years old).

28K Posts

August 12th, 2008 16:00

In step 5, he should have said, "click the + sign next to Network Adapters".  Does the wireless adapter show up if  you do that?

Steve

No Events found!