Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2009 05:00

Muting built in microphon(s) of a Vostro1400

Hi,

I have a Vostro 1400 with Windows XP Home.

I have an M-Audio FireWire Solo sound card connected via firewire and working great.

Only problem is I can't figure how to mute the internal microphones of the Laptop!! 

I have changed all the default settings of the audio devices to the M-Audio but the microphones are still active...

I have also tried to disable the Sigma Tel High Definition audio CODEC but then there is (also...) no input from the M-Audio sound card.

Thanks in advance :emotion-1:,

N.W.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 24th, 2009 05:00

I don't personally know, but here are some tips that had been posted by other forum members.

By phil r 279:
Hi, Here's how I fixed my microphone after disabling it to record internet radio..
Go to the
Control Panel choose "Hardware and Sound" then "Manage audio devices" in the Sound tab, then the "Recording" tab.
RIGHT CLICK on the dialog box and select "Show disconnected devices" and/or "Show disabled devices"
Left click on Microphone array to select it and click "Properties"
To the right of Device Usage, click the arrow pointing down and select "use this device(enable)"
Then choose Apply and OK. You will now see in the Sound/ Recording tab that its working.
Problem solved, all because of the right click facility.
To put a shortcut on your desktop for muting the microphone later, do this..
Go back to Control Panel and right click on the speaker icon or the 'Sound' word. Choose "Create Shortcut".

Posted by Jakpro, to turn off internal mic in a 1520:
Go to sound in the control panel and select the properties button for the microphone and then look at the bottom and select disable the device.

2 Posts

March 24th, 2009 07:00

Thank you jimco for your prompt reply.

Problem solved.

I had another go at the Sound Recording box in the Sound and Audio device properties window while the outboard soundcard was not connected and this time I could change the input selector from mic to line.

I checked again after re-connecting the sound card and the mics are indeed muted and the sound card's input is active.

I'm happy :emotion-2:

Thanks anyway,

N.W.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 24th, 2009 09:00

You're welcome anyway.

No Events found!