Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2012 08:00

My dell beeps 7 times what does this mean?

Hi

When i try and turn my dell insiprion on nothing happens then it beeps 7 times, what does this mean and how can i fix it?

3.3K Posts

July 31st, 2012 09:00

Hi united30 ,

Welcome to Dell community forum.

As ejn63 correctly said, we need to know the system model which would help us determine what 7 beeps means. If the computer is a notebook, it might be an issue with the processor.

Kindly post with the model number of the computer.  I would  research on this issue and get back to you with results.

If you have active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag and phone # with address.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2015 04:00

Seven beeps means either a bad CPU or a bad mainboard - of the two, CPUs very, very, very rarely fail.  The mainboard should be replaced first (assuming the CPU is removable;  it is on older systems but on newer ones, it's hard-soldered on, so both the CPU and board must be replaced together).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2012 08:00

It will depend on the model of the system, but it likely means a mainboard failure.

1 Message

August 1st, 2012 09:00

the model number is m 5010 Inspiron

beeping 7 times

3.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 13:00

Hi valigurrl,

Thank you for your response.

7 beeps diagnostic indicator means that the issue might be with  processor .

If you have active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag and phone # with address.

October 19th, 2012 18:00

Hi Rajesh,

I am having Inspiron 5010. When I am trying to turn it on, it gives 7 beeps. It does not start at all.

from other posts it looks like it is processor/motherboard issue?

Can you please help and confirm the same?

3.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 02:00

Hi Mandar_Deshpande1234,

7 beeps indicate CPU Cache test failure which means Processor failure.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

If the computer is under warranty, I would arrange for a service on the computer.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

October 29th, 2012 05:00

I don't mean to sound like a broken record but my laptop has been beeping 7 times as well. I take it that means the computer has to be repair at this point.  Never encountered a problem like this before.

3.3K Posts

October 30th, 2012 07:00

Hi computehelp21,

7 beeps indicate CPU Cache test failure which means Processor failure.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/zEE2Cm

If the system is out of warranty, I have provided a link below for the expired warranty services:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/expired_warranty?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

November 15th, 2012 14:00

I have an Inspiron M5010 and its beeping 7 times.  What should I do?

1 Message

December 22nd, 2012 03:00

dear sir i have dell inspiron n 5110 LAPTOP ITS NOT OPEN ITS COMEBEEPSOUND,(7OR8)BEEP SOUNDS CAME WHAT S THE PROBLEM

sir pls support me

ramesh

1 Message

August 16th, 2013 19:00

I am also having the same problem with my Dell its beeping 7 times and won't turn on.

1 Message

April 20th, 2014 06:00

Hi Rajesh! 

my.computer too is beeping. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop.. 

4 Posts

May 6th, 2014 09:00

Mine is doing the same two or three weeks after warranty runs out... How convenient. . I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 

4 Posts

May 6th, 2014 13:00

I ran out of warranty 2 weeks ago, now I have the 7 beeps of death... I paid $1100 for my laptop and am still paying for it and it dies. I would think two weeks past warranty when you pay so much money that they would want to help out, but No.. I have the option to pay another 300 dollars to fix it by them, that will give me 90 days more warranty. So that raises the price of the laptop to $1400 dollars even though I looked online and Dell seems to have lot's of issues with this. I think it should be a recall and fixed on Dells expense....   Very unhappy and dissatisfied!!!!!!!????

No Events found!