Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2013 03:00

N5110 battery is not charging

I have N5110 laptop and machine does not start with battery plugged in.

I have to perform following steps to boot the system:

1. remove the battery,
  2. drain the charge by holding start button for few seconds
  3. then boot the system.

If I insert battery after system is up, it says battery strength as "0% available".

I am not even able to flash the BIOS as it needs minimum 10% battery to be available.

Please help and suggest on how to resolve the issue.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mthapar,

Please check if the charging port on the laptop is loose. Connect an alternate AC Adapter to see if that works fine with the system. You may also hover the mouse on the battery icon on the task-bar and check the message (plugged in, charging / plugged in, not charging).

Alternatively, try the steps mentioned below:

*Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 65W / 90W / 130W'.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

Also, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

Please reply if you have any questions.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2013 09:00

Hi Appu,

Thanks for your response.

I checked the BIOS settings, it displays 130W for AC Adapter type. I even reset the settings using F9 but problem remains same.

'Dell Battery Meter' states "Your Battery is performing Normally" but the battery % remains at "0% available (plugged in, charging)".

Please help.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 11th, 2013 00:00

Hi Mthapar,

Thank you for the response. I would suggest you to calibrate the battery:

• Remove the AC adapter from the laptop
  • Turn on the laptop. Allow it to run on battery power until the battery is drained to 0 percent of capacity
  • Remove the battery from the laptop. Keep it aside for 1-2 hours
  • Place the battery back into the battery bay
  • Plug the AC adapter. Charge the battery overnight. Do not power on or use the laptop during this time

Please refer to the link ‘Laptop Battery FAQ’ http://dell.to/w0gepP

7 Posts

March 11th, 2013 00:00

HI,

Battery is drained out completely as machine does not boot up without AC adapter. I also tried charging the machine for few hours without switching on.

The only step not performed is that keeping the battery aside for 2 hrs and charging it overnight. Not sure, that this will help but as you suggest I will try that tonight.

In the meanwhile, if you can think of something else please suggest.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 11th, 2013 02:00

Hi Mthapar,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in previous post to calibrate the battery. Calibrating the battery might work. In case the issue persists, we may try some other steps.

I would also suggest you to check with an alternate battery (if available).

Please share the findings.

7 Posts

March 12th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

I tried to calibrate the battery by following the suggested steps but unfortunately even this did not help.

One thing to mention, when I inserted the battery in battery bay after keeping it aside for 2 hrs, the laptop switched-on on its own without me pressing the ON button (ofcourse after AC adapter was plugged in).

Looking for better suggestions.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 13th, 2013 23:00

Hi Mthapar,

Thank you for the response. It seems to be an issue with the battery. I would suggest you to check with an alternate battery or replace the battery. In case the issue persists, the motherboard might require replacement.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mthapar,

Glad to know the issue is resolved. Do reach out in case you need any further assistance.

7 Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I called the local support and they arranged for on-site engineer visit this morning.

The guy came over and changed the motherboard. It is working normal now.

Thanks for your help.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2013 23:00

When I tried to use the laptop over the weekend, it is the same issue again.

The only difference is that earlier battery was stuck at 0% and not it is stuck at 3%.

I am sick and tired of this machine.

In this laptop, everything was changed multiple times in last 1.5 years except casing and DVD drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 20th, 2013 02:00

Hi Mthapar,

I understand it could be upsetting. In order to assist you further, I would need the system information. You may send me the system information via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). Please include the following information:

• Service Tag

• Account Name

No Events found!