Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2012 08:00

N5110 touchpad left mouse button not working

I have a laptop about 6 months old and the left mouse button suddenly stopped working.  I tried reinstalling the drivers with no successful results.  Everything else on the touchpad seems to be working as well as all buttons on the USB mouse. 

3 Posts

September 19th, 2012 09:00

I had to hit F12 to get to boot options and went through "Diagnostics".  It did actually fail diagnostics on hard drive with the following error:  

Code 2000-0142

validation 6982

Hard Drive 0  Status = 7

I went ahead and stopped the diagnostics at that point and tried the mouse and the left mouse button was still not working.  

• 

3.3K Posts

September 19th, 2012 09:00

Hi abbywitz

Good you have updated the touch pad drivers on the system. Since the left button is still not working, would suggest one step to be performed. To perform this step shut down the system completely, turn on the system and immediately press F8 to go to advanced boot option. In this screen using down arrow key select “Repair your computer” option. It may take a couple of minutes to go to the next screen. Here please use the left button key of the touch pad to see if the system responds. By this step will know if it is mechanical issue. Please reply with the status of this step to help you further.

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

• 

3.3K Posts

September 21st, 2012 03:00

Hi abbywitz

Thank you for the response. As the left key did not work even on the diagnostics screen, the touchpad needs replacement. In order to check the warranty status of the system kindly private message me the service tag of the system. To private message accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

• 

3.3K Posts

September 27th, 2012 04:00

Hi abbywitz

Thank you for the service tag information. Since you have also informed about an error for the HDD and also the test was stopped, I request you to do a thorough test on the system.

Restart the system and at the dell logo tap the ‘F12’ key, once every two seconds. On this screen select the option ‘Diagnostics’.  This will run a complete test on all the hardware components of the system.  On this screen you will also have an option to select a particular component to test. Please run test on both touch pad and HDD. Do not use the touch pad keys to select the component. Please use arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate the screen.

Please reply to the post if the touch pad keys worked, also if there is any error message for the HDD. Make a note of the exact error message if it pop-ups while running a test on the HDD. The status will help me to decide if any part needs replacement.

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 20:00

Here is the latest result (note that this is actually my mom's laptop, I am just trying to help them out and no longer have personal access to the computer):

We did the test, and we got the following info about the Hard Drive.    We never got to the part about testing the "touchpad and the HDD"

It said   Error Code 200-0142
           Validation 6982
        MSG-Hard Drive 0-S/N   S2TBJAOC296479     self test unsuccessful status=7

Then it did a Repair Startup  and said it did 1 attempt
System Disk= 1 device 
Hard disk 0
# of root causes= 1
Auto chk= 0
Error code= oxo on a bunch of stuff

• 

3.3K Posts

October 4th, 2012 02:00

Hi abbywitz,

Thank you for the error code. This error code indicates that HDD has gone bad and needs replacement. 

As per the warranty, I will arrange for an onsite technician to replace the HDD and also the palm rest on the system. Please send me a private message including email address, address, contact number, alternate contact number and best time to call.

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

No Events found!