Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2011 19:00

N7010 32 bit Windows 7 drivers

I installed Windows 7 Professional 32 bit on my Inspiron 17R (N7010) laptop.  Everything works except the video driver.  The driver download page for Dell claims that the driver (R274445) works for this model and 32 bit Windows 7 but when I install the driver it still tells me I have a standard VGA adapter instead of the AMD Mobility Radeon 5470 I know it has.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

904 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

My apologies that you are going through this problem with your new system. Even i would have lost my patience when the drivers dont work as they should.

Its highly unlikely for a fresh installation of windows not detect the graphics card.

For your system there are two types available.

• 1024 (MB) ATI HD5470 Mobility RadeonTM
  • Integrated Intel® HD

Please check your order details and make sure you have the ATI card mentioned there, As per the Tag provided you have the Intel Graphics card in your order details. If you have not ordered for the card specifically then you would get the Integrated Intel HD card.

The Drivers disk is a standard disk for your laptop model, it will have both ATI and Intel drivers basically all the drivers the model N7010 supports now depending on what you have ordered you need to install the right one.

If you do have ATI card mentioned in your order details, please contact Dell Tech Support. They will surely help you out with this situation.

If you dont have ATI card mentioned in the order details, there must have been some misunderstanding at the time the order was placed.

904 Posts

January 21st, 2011 20:00

Hi

Does the software complete the installation ? or do you get an error message?

Try this one AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / HD4200

Which OS did you have earlier ?

Was the card detecting fine previously ?

January 21st, 2011 21:00

It completes.  It says there were warnings but when you open the log there are no warnings in the file.

That driver did not work either, though it too claims to be for the N7010

It came with Windows 7 Home 64 bit but since I needed Pro the very first time it booted was to the install DVD for Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.  I presume it worked correctly with Windows 7 64-bit but I never ran it so I cannot say for certain that it did.

By the way, the disc I used for the install is a Dell OEM Windows 7 32 bit install disc. 

On another note, it also says I have a generic PnP monitor.  I don't know if this is relevent but I wouldn't think that is correct either.

904 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 03:00

Have you created a recovery disk? saved the factory image ? could you PM me your service tag ?

it would say PnP monitor because the drivers are not set properly..try this...

go to device manager, right click on vga adapter, select 'Update Driver software'

then select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

chose 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers installed on my computer'

Check in this list if the card is installed or no

904 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 05:00

Is the Card mentioned in your order details ?

January 22nd, 2011 06:00

I did not create a recovery disc or save the factory image.  I run a Windows 2003 domain at home so i have to have a Pro version of Windows. Having installation media for a "Home" version of Windows is of no value to me.

If I select Update Driver and pick "Let me choose from a list..." the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 is a choice; in fact, there are 14 identical entries that say "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470"  I started simply going through them one by one but have not finished.  I do this with no guarantee that any of them is the correct one.

In my initial attempt to fix this I used the drivers disc that came with the laptop. I don't understand why the driver disc that came with the machine does not have the right driver when the compatibility list explicitly states "N7010" and Windows 7 32 bit.

904 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 08:00

I did not create a recovery disc or save the factory image.  I run a Windows 2003 domain at home so i have to have a Pro version of Windows. Having installation media for a "Home" version of Windows is of no value to me.

If I select Update Driver and pick "Let me choose from a list..." the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 is a choice; in fact, there are 14 identical entries that say "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470"  I started simply going through them one by one but have not finished.  I do this with no guarantee that any of them is the correct one.

In my initial attempt to fix this I used the drivers disc that came with the laptop. I don't understand why the driver disc that came with the machine does not have the right driver when the compatibility list explicitly states "N7010" and Windows 7 32 bit.

The list only shows the drivers installed, there should not be more than two, multiple drivers means you have installed it multiple times and that why windows is unable to automatically install the correct one.

Chose the latest one in that list and see if it installs.

January 22nd, 2011 11:00

Let's back up a little.  In my Device Manager under display adapters it shows "Standard VGA Adapter."  This is not correct.  Windows is not even aware that I have an advanced graphics adapter.  When I put the drivers disc THAT CAME WITH THE LAPTOP into the DVD drive and brought up the driver installation program it was listed there, plain as day.  When I expand the compatibility section it shows both "Windows 7 Professional 32-bit" and "N7010." From Dell's webpage for R257949:

Systems
Inspiron N3010
Inspiron N4010
Inspiron N7010
Inspiron 1464
Inspiron 1564
Inspiron 1764
Studio Laptop 1557
Studio Laptop 1558
Studio XPS Laptop 1645
Studio XPS Laptop 1647

Operating systems
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit
Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit

I take this to mean THAT driver, when installed, should allow me to fully use the capabilities of the card.  This is not the case.  For every other driver, such as the one for the sound, when I installed the driver the system knew what the hardware was and it worked after a reboot.  With the graphics adapter this is not the case.

I tried to force the driver.  I selected Update Driver on the Driver tab of the Properties dialog and browsed to c:\dell\drivers\
R257949\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\ and select the CL_94670.inf file (I have also tried the CW_94670.inf.)  THIS is where I find the 14 drivers, all for the ATI 5470. If I choose one these it tells me "the driver may not be compatible...blah blah blah."  When I say "OK" and reboot, when I go into deviace manager it shows ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 but with the little yellow triangle indicating a problem.  All of this is true with R274445, the driver that came with the computer.

None of this works, and yet both ATI and Dell claim this hardware is supported on Windows 7 32 bit.

I am a little frustrated because I bought this computer intending to install Win 7 Pro 32 bit and checked Dell's support pages to verify hardware and software compatibility before I ordered.

1 Message

February 6th, 2011 19:00

dear mr. i'd like to ask you a question.. please give me a reply... i have bought dell inspiron n3010 (13R), and i've install windows 7 32 BIT, its appear that dell inspiron n3010 processor is 64 bit.. my question is, i can't find video driver anywhere.. can you give me a support.. because i use a cd driver from dell store, it tells that support for win7 64bit.. thanks before..

904 Posts

February 6th, 2011 23:00

dear mr. i'd like to ask you a question.. please give me a reply... i have bought dell inspiron n3010 (13R), and i've install windows 7 32 BIT, its appear that dell inspiron n3010 processor is 64 bit.. my question is, i can't find video driver anywhere.. can you give me a support.. because i use a cd driver from dell store, it tells that support for win7 64bit.. thanks before..

Hi

Here are the Windows 7 32Bit drivers for your system. Install the correct driver for your graphics card. If you are not sure which graphics card you have check in your order details.

AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / HD4200

AMD ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 550v

1 Message

March 26th, 2011 04:00

Hi to whoever is in charge here.. I have some problem with my laptop and i hope u can help me. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron n4010, and it was pre-installed with Windows 7 64bit. Later on i have installed Windows 7 ultimate 32bit on it. It took me sometime to find all the needed driver, but i did, and the only driver i couldn't find is its webcam driver. I searched in Dell's website and even in other websites and there are none. The only thing i found was Webcam central, and when i open it, it says 'no device is plugged in'. So, can u give me the compatible driver for n4010 windows 7 32 bit webcam? Thanks in advance..

904 Posts

March 26th, 2011 13:00

Hi to whoever is in charge here.. I have some problem with my laptop and i hope u can help me. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron n4010, and it was pre-installed with Windows 7 64bit. Later on i have installed Windows 7 ultimate 32bit on it. It took me sometime to find all the needed driver, but i did, and the only driver i couldn't find is its webcam driver. I searched in Dell's website and even in other websites and there are none. The only thing i found was Webcam central, and when i open it, it says 'no device is plugged in'. So, can u give me the compatible driver for n4010 windows 7 32 bit webcam? Thanks in advance..

Hi

Follow this link and installed the webcam driver.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/m/laptop/19816464.aspx

1 Message

October 23rd, 2011 01:00

dell's just support win7 64bit, it means dell is big product,,

an example, on win7 32 bit just require maximum usable of ram only 2,97GB, but at win7 64 bit, support ram until 192GB,,wow,,

very rarely,,

No Events found!