Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2012 17:00

NO AUDIO. Failed to play test tone

Hello to all bloggers in here.  I finally decided to sign up here to seek help. I have read that many problems regarding no audio problems in here were solved. Apparently, i tried them all yet none of those worked for me. Things are now getting hopeless. I need my sound as soon as possible but i cannot work on it all the time because I am a student.

Anyway, for those who will help me, I am now giving a great thanks! I have this Dell Inspiron 1525 Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit. I Have SigmaTel High Definition Audio . This problem arise about less than a month but  I cannot have this System restore. I have tried all of those I have from from the internet but nothing worked. I always try to work on device manager control panel.I have tried most of JIM's solutions. I did changing from SigmaTel-IDT-SigmaTel. I also installed Realtek.i reinstall uninstall i clean the registry. regedit etc.. I am now hopeless so please give me a WORD.

This Image is a result of my dell diagnostic test. what does it means/what shall i do next?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 05:00

By symptoms I mean all the things you observe that indicate there is an audio problem. For example a runny nose is one symptom that indicates a health problem, but the exact cause of the problem is unknown because it could a cold, an allergy, or something else. By asking about all of the symptoms a doctor tries to diagnose the exact cause.

Your symptoms are mixed and do not point clearly to one specific cause, but they do indicate that there is a hardware failure in the audio of your laptop. I think that you actually have 2 failures in the hardware that are the cause of mixed symptoms. I think you have failed sense pin circuitry and probably an additional unknown failure.related to the headphone port.

In your model you cannot fix audio hardware failure except by replacing the motherboard. If you have an extended warranty then contact support to schedule a repair. If you have no warranty then you need to get an external sound card or usb audio adapter. Such a device will bypass the audio on the motherboard, but it will only work with headphones or external speakers, not the laptop's internal speakers.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 03:00

Hello. Please describe in words the results of the tests -- I am having difficulty in understanding from your screen shot. It looks like you heard the audio through the speakers during the tests but not through the headphones, and the front mic failed the test. Is my understanding correct?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 03:00

Also please describe again the symptoms when you are in the normal Windows mode -- not in the test. You don't hear any audio at all, either through the speakers or headphones, but the Sigmatel audio driver seems to be installed okay?

13 Posts

Hello. Thanks for the respond Sir. Yes. Your understanding is correct Sir.  I have tried your suggestion doing the diagnostic test. The result showed that both the Headphones and and Front mic don't work at all. When I tested them and it asked if I hear any sound, I answered NO because that is what really it is. But the test on Analog Sound Playback Test and Internal Mic seems to be okay. I heard the SONG(Playback) and my VOICE(Internal Mic).

Also, I don't understand sir what "symptoms" you want to know. The only thing is that every time I open my pc, I can't hear any start up tone. It just shows the Vista LOGO and that's it. (Before the problem, there is a start up tone).  And from there on, I can't produce sounds anymore even if I play a video or any music.

I hope to get answers from you Sir. Thank You. :)

13 Posts

I forgot to tell that I can't hear any sounds either from external speaker/headphones and built-in speakers(except from the dell diagnostic test). I guess my SigmaTel Audio Driver seems to be okay. It is the updated version and it is used as the preference. But another concern is that when I try to test it @ CONFIGURE , a dialog box pops telling "Failed to play test tone"

13 Posts

December 13th, 2012 06:00

Thanks again for the fast reply Sir. It seems like I am encountering symptoms listed in Failed Sense Pin. Except for Audio test in Dell Diagnostic. Not all of the audio test passes in my case. I still hear sounds during the test. Does it still mean I have a hardware defect? This unit is too old. I don't guess it still posses the warranty. Anyway, i'll try to buy and use usb audio adapter hoping it will work. I suspect the jack is the cause of my problem here. I just don't understand why I can't use sounds in this device using the built-in speakers knowing that the headphones and mic  failed the test alone.

Are there any other remedies that i can do to regain my sounds Sir? Still, I am very grateful for your wonderful WORDS. :)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 07:00

I still hear sounds during the test. Does it still mean I have a hardware defect?

One of the symptoms of the failed sense pin circuitry is that you will hear audio through the speakers during the test, but when you return to normal Windows you will not hear audio through the speakers. The reason for this odd behavior is explained in the faq. However, you should be able to hear audio through the headphone jack but because you  cannot then I think there is an additional problem.

Are there any other remedies that i can do to regain my sounds

I believe you can regain your sounds through your internal speakers if you replace your motherboard. I could be mistaken but I do not know of another way on an Inspiron 1525.

There is a possibility that I am wrong about your problems being caused by hardware. If the problems are not caused by hardware then you can fix them by returning the laptop to its original factory configuration

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

. But I do not think that will help you because I think it is a hardware failure.

13 Posts

December 13th, 2012 07:00

So those are my last resorts. Either to replace the motherboard or buy a usb audio adapter. Thanks for the knowledge and concern Mr. Jim. I am very grateful of your kindness :)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for listening to my opinions. Hope you can get it working again.

13 Posts

December 18th, 2012 04:00

Good evening sir Jim. Sorry to bother you again. I have bought this USB Sound Card and tried it but I still don't have sounds. If I plug the device, it is used as a default. Tried to Configure it but Failed To Play Test Tone still pops up. What should I do further?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 18th, 2012 05:00

Hello. You have headphones or external speakers connected to the usb sound card? What is the name of the sound card?

When you open the Sound properties, it should show the usb device. This is an example -- not exactly what you should see on yours. Besides Sigmatel, there should also be your usb device. If you did not have to install a driver for it then it might just appear as a generic usb name instead of its exact name. If it is there and selected as the default playback device, but you do not hear audio through headphones attached to it, then it might be defective.

13 Posts

Here is the result sir. I inserted the external sound card with headphones in it. I also tried using external speakers. And still, there is no sounds produced if I play mp3's or movies. Happy Holidays!

13 Posts

Here is the result sir. I inserted the external sound card with headphones in it. I also tried using external speakers. And still, there is no sounds produced if I play mp3's or movies. Happy Holidays!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 18th, 2012 06:00

I'm sorry but I don't know the problem. The usb device entirely bypasses the Sigmatel audio, so the problem is either in the device, in the usb port, or in Windows. I would think that if it is in Windows then you would get an error message when you tried to play a file with Windows Media Player. Try using the audio device on a different computer. What is the name of the device? Did it say it works on Vista? Also check the usb port.

As far as the test tone not playing, I'm not sure how that tone is routed. It might just attempt to play through the Sigmatel hardware on the motherboard. I would keep testing with mp3's and not the test tone.

13 Posts

December 18th, 2012 06:00

Th device name is AV-001-M, a product of cd-r king.  It actually bypasses the Sigmatel Audio and is the default playback when inserted. I am doing both test sir. I try testing by playing mp3s and the test tone. the usb port is good. the device seems working and is new. And I get an error if I play a file using windows media player.  Here is the screenshot sir Jim

No Events found!